ArcticFoxCJ's Content - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

ArcticFoxCJ

Community Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ArcticFoxCJ

  1. Corvette Summer (1978) Yes, Young Skywalker. A Datsun.
  2. Eating Raoul (1982)
  3. The music video for "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2. Not sure how I'd feel about Bono just hopping up onto my 280Z's hood and maybe denting it, but hey, at least it's in the video.
  4. Sorceress (1995)
  5. Horror House on Highway Five (1985)
  6. The Evil (1978)
  7. Seeing that Z up on jackstands with no wheels makes me feel a little better about my Z project... At least it has the wheels on...
  8. There are two in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985). Maybe 3... That white car in the distance looks promising...
  9. They've been the source for most of the parts I've bought for this project and that looks to continue.
  10. Capricorn One (1977)
  11. Hey guys, I've got some replacement parts for the transmission, like a new shift fork boot and throwout bearing (now installed on the sleeve). I wanted to get all new bolts to reattach the transmission to the engine so I ordered them from ZCar Depot. I just want to give these guys a big public shout out. I got this E-mail: I think it was really cool that they checked it with me. I don't mind of course. Not like the bolts will be visible once it's all back together anyhow, but I know it might be an issue for some folks so it made sense for them to contact me to check. I just wanted to give them some recognition. Never had a bad experience with these folks yet.
  12. Back to the Future
  13. Another Sidaris movie... Hard Ticket to Hawaii
  14. The music video for ZZ Top "She's Got Legs"
  15. American Made
  16. 2 in Fast Times at Ridgemont High:
  17. So I was able to get the plug at the end of the EGR gallery opposite where the EGR valve would be. Looks like it's entirely jam packed with this material. From the one plug I was able to get out earlier, showing the port from the EGR gallery to the manifold, it looks like somebody soldered the ports shut and then packed this stuff into the manifold that really does seem like casting sand. ... or it was like that from the factory. ::shrug::
  18. Thanks. yeah to access the other ports I'll need to get the other plugs out. Seems like my 10mm hex bit is just a little too small, so I have an 11mm impact coming tomorrow and I'll get out the rest with that. I think if any of the ports are open I'll block them off to save the manifold. I'd hate to waste the money I already spent at the machine shop on this one. Not a sunk cost fallacy if I can actually save it.
  19. So I am able to feel one of the ports with my finger on the throttle body end, and when trying to push a bent wire down through to see if it was clear, I was unable. Here's what it looks like from the throttle body port (second pic is zoomed in)
  20. yeah I dug out a bunch more of the material. This is what it looks like at the bottom: That's aluminum in there. So either this has been plugged, or that really was casting sand and Datsun was cheating a bit when manufacturing these... So... if they're all like this, then I can use this manifold.
  21. Yeah the soot is from the welding attempt. I do agree that EGR was getting in previously, but I am deleting the EGR so I'm not worried about whether it was working. Looks like finding an N42 is an adventure... Yeah I was thinking along those lines as well. Managed to get one plug off and check this out: It's jam packed solid in there. I don't even know what this material is. It's almost like sawdust. Judging from some damage on a couple of the plugs, I'm starting to wonder if someone had already done that to this manifold before...
  22. Gotcha. At this point if I can use this one I will, since I'm deleting the EGR anyway. The only question is whether there's airflow between that gallery and the actual vacuum chamber. I tried to run a wire through what seems to be a port for cylinder #1 but it appears to be blocked. If that's the case, then this manifold is usable. I could try to pull out the hex plugs and see better, but I'm nervous about putting all that force onto them, since they're on pretty tight.
  23. OK, what's the advantage to an N42?
  24. Got my intake manifold back from the machine shop, and the EGR gallery has corroded so thin you can poke through it with a screwdriver. I have a sinking feeling this manifold is toast, but with a flashlight in it I can't tell whether the ports between the EGR gallery and the intake are open. Anyone have any insights?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.