IGNORED

Fenders welded on!?!?!? 280Z (OK no, just... bondo...)

ArcticFoxCJ

Hey all,

So I'm in the process of tearing down my '77 and it's looking like these fenders are welded onto the rocker panels and maybe the subframe.  Here's a closeup of where the seam should be between the fender and the rocker, and some photos of the underside where the bolt(s) should be attaching the fender...

Is this a typical repair?  I had a '77 before and it wasn't like this so I'm certain it isn't factory.  

At this point I assume I'll be cutting this puppy off.  Any advice from you seasoned Z folks?

20210718_155105.jpg

20210718_155131.jpg

20210718_155139.jpg

Edited by ArcticFoxCJ
Title was out of date

Yeah also gonna need to strip the paint away form the area where the seam is supposed to be.  I've removed all the bolts and the headlight cases and both fenders still feel pretty solidly attached.  At this point I'm assuming the worst and that I'll be cutting it out with a grinder.  Praying I can save the fenders.

I agree with GK get a grinder with a flap disc and a dust mask and work your way down. If I had to guess, I would say a previous owner used bondo or fiberglass to attach them to the car. Fiberglass holds pretty good and would make them feel firmly attached

18 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I agree with GK get a grinder with a flap disc and a dust mask and work your way down. If I had to guess, I would say a previous owner used bondo or fiberglass to attach them to the car. Fiberglass holds pretty good and would make them feel firmly attached

Yeah that makes sense, especially since fiberglass was used on other parts of this car, like completely encasing the center console and the dashboard...

20210413_175955.jpg

signal-2021-04-27-175811.jpg

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Whoa, looks like you have your work cut out for you, please post more pics once you have dug in.

Yeah I have a build thread on another Z car forum as well.  Always happy to share pics.  Helps me stay motivated.  B)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Freez74 said:

Someone was a big fan of bondo! Interesting effect on the dash.

It's a lot uglier in person.  Just can't wait to scrape all that off.  I did get all the fiberglass off of the center console.  That was so much fun...

• ArcticFoxCJ changed the title to Fenders welded on!?!?!? 280Z (OK no, just... bondo...)