IGNORED

Bumper Set

Wally

I am going to spring for a new set of bumpers on my 71 240. Anybody got a good place for new ones or completely refurbs? All i have found so far is a place in vietnam, on ebay, that sells an "identical" version in Stainless. Looks pretty good

but is almost $900 for bumpers, rubbers and overriders.

14 hours ago, AK260 said:

The rubber corners perished within 4 years

I Hate it when that happens.. When you pay a lot of money for basically junk..  I know we complain sometimes about prices but good stuff costs money.. i bought some new original  ones for 80-90 euro a piece and they are now 20 years old and are still looking good! 

Old bumperrubber can be rejuvenated bij soaking them in a bucket of hot water with a good amount of washing machine detergent! leave them in it for a week.. or 2!  You'll be surprised what comes out/off of these rubbers!  and how nice!  Ofcourse they have to be in one piece without cracks, very little cracks are gone after a good wash.. (It helps to heat up the water during the week of soak.. can be done with a heating element out of an old deep fryer.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wally said:

but is almost $900 for bumpers

Haha.. yeah thats cheap!!!  Overhere we pay 900 EURO!  for just one remake of 1 Bumper!!  (But then it must be said: it looks perfect..)  

(btw.. i got 4 sets of original(!)  bumpers left.. BUT they need a new layer of chrome to be perfect..)

15 hours ago, AK260 said:

I have these on my car and pretty happy with them! BUT ... if I did it again, I would buy them without the rubbers. The rubber corners perished within 4 years, and my car is garaged for 98% of its life!

https://groupharrington.com/product/datsun-240z-and-260z-bumpers/

The rubber on mine still look good 8 years later. I wonder if they had some quality issues between the time I purchased mine and when you bought yours.

• Like 1

I saw the ones at https://www.datsun-garage.com/products/front-and-rear-chrome-bumper-set-1970-72-240z

they seem to not have the rubber or an option to add rubber. Also no overriders. I kinda like the look with rubber on bumpers though.

Does anyone have preference over traditional real chrome plate vs. new polished stainless steel?

I think if I had my option I would go with hard chrome. I have the SS vietnam bumpers but they haven't been installed yet, but the SS is soft and damages easily. I believe the hard chrome would hold up better

• Like 1

Y'all have some hard shelled bugs up that way with good aim I guess.  

I worry more about the rear lights than anything. I had a friend leave her bicycle in my garage after we rode one day. She left it behind the 240 on it's kickstand. I saw that the next morning and put it in the bed of my truck, outside the garage. Called and told her where it was and why. Haven't talked to her too much since then.

• Like 1

The rubber on mine still look good 8 years later. I wonder if they had some quality issues between the time I purchased mine and when you bought yours.

I have to agree, I was surprised. To their credit they did send me a new set but in all honesty only the rear ones went on (last year) as I really couldn’t be bothered to remove the bumpers / had more pressing work on the car.

I believe they offer an option of having the bumpers without the rubber holes drilled but includes the rubbers in the package. That way you can have the option to install yourself or keep the corners shiny!

And I have to agree the S/S does pick up scratches more easily. However my father in-law’s experience convinced me I wanted S/S. You see, in the UK the weather is constantly humid even if you don’t drive in the wet. He had his Volvo 123 Amazon bumpers re-chromed and in under 10 years they started to go again. So when I met him (about 12 years ago), I helped him fit the Harrington bumpers and to this day they look stunning!
  • Like 1