IGNORED

240 Taillight Panel

Jah240

Hey, I’ve searched all over this forum and can’t seem to find out how to remove the taillight black panel, I have a 72’ 240z and the forums I find include some black rivets, in my case I have some metal rivets and I don’t know how to remove them, could someone help me?

pictures are helpful in this case. I started off by removing the light for the plates, for the rivets (unless the metal ones are the crimped style (non oem?) ones that you have to drill out) you can push in the center to compress the splines that expand to hold the panel in place.

IIRC the 240z uses a different size plastic rivet for this part of the car, its not the same as the interior ones.

Here is the P/N for the small rivets to secure the rear finisher, still available from your local Nissan dealer or CourtesyParts.com: 79909-E4100

Not cheap at $1.86 each (Courtesy Parts dept. pickup) but its the correct item if that is important to you. Interesting that the online parts catalog specifies qty. 8 when only 6 are required. The center panel of the finisher set uses two small hex-head bolts behind the license plate.

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

Here is the P/N for the small rivets to secure the rear finisher, still available from your local Nissan dealer or CourtesyParts.com: 79909-E4100

Not cheap at $1.86 each (Courtesy Parts dept. pickup) but its the correct item if that is important to you. Interesting that the online parts catalog specifies qty. 8 when only 6 are required. The center panel of the finisher set uses two small hex-head bolts behind the license plate.

Jim, are you sure that the center panel uses “hex-head bolts” behind the license plate.?  I’ve alway used the same 

plastic rivets used to secure all of the finisher panels, for a total of eight.

Dan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZ-240z said:

Jim, are you sure that the center panel uses “hex-head bolts” behind the license plate.?  I’ve alway used the same 

Dan

I was just looking at that. It seems the early 240s may have used small bolts but my '72 has two smaller plastic rivets behind the tag and the normal sized ones on the hatch lip up top, not sure how many without walking downstairs and taking the cover off.

This is @CanTechZ early car. you can see the threads I think.

IMG_5333.JPG

These are the rivets i bought for my '72.

20190216_095601.jpg

Well thank you all for the speedy responses, but none of you have described what I have installed currently, which leads me to believe whoever had the car behind me just inserted some random metal rivets, I shall attach pictures later on since I have the car a storage, but it’s a metal rivet that has a hole in the center of it, I’ve also tried hitting the center with a nail resulting in nothing. Thank you again I shall post pictures in a few hours

37 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I was just looking at that. It seems the early 240s may have used small bolts but my '72 has two smaller plastic rivets behind the tag and the normal sized ones on the hatch lip up top, not sure how many without walking downstairs and taking the cover off.

IMG_5333.JPG

These are the rivets i bought for my '72.

20190216_095601.jpg

Where those bolts currently sit on that 240 is where the metal rivets on mine are installed. 

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

My car (7/70) uses 8 of the small rivets, the last two go in the circled area below, no threads.

image.png

Here are my finishers before I removed them.

20191014_084758.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ-240z said:

Dan

Absolutely sure - at least on my car. It is a small flange hex-head sheet metal thread bolt, about 8mm head. These are original to my car. It is not listed in the online parts catalog, so the factory may have switched to rivets at some point, hence the spec for 8.

100_4115.JPG

• Like 2