IGNORED

Hagerty Article on JIS Screw Heads

jfa.series1

This popped into the inbox, a nice commentary on JIS vs. Phillips head screws. It got me to thinking about JIS screwdrivers and bits and I ran across another article that makes it clear that all the so-called JIS drivers on the market today are not truly JIS but most are the later DIN/ISO standard that is a compromise between JIS and conventional Phillips head screws. The bottom line: if the tool does not explicitly state it is JIS B 4633 specification, it is probably a DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 spec. Close but no cigar!

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/that-phillips-head-screw-isnt-what-you-think-it-is/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=21_February_6_Newsletter_Weekend

https://rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-screwdrivers-and-where-to-buy-a-jis-screwdriver/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Henry Ford started using the Roberson headed screw in his model T and wanted exclusive rights to it but Roberson refused to have his name removed from the design so Ford went back to the Philips.  The Roberson headed screw is superior in many ways but you will only find it in common use in Canada. Egos.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I've been using a Wera #2 philips that has the laser etched tip to grip rusty Datsun screws for years, but these Vessel drivers look even more aggressive. Like I need an excuse to buy another tool.....

Looking on Amazon for Vessel also turned up this bad boy, for when the going gets extra tough.

Vessel Megadora 980 Impacta P2x100#2 Cross Point Impact Screwdriver

image.png

and when things get really carried away...

image.png

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Henry Ford started using the Roberson headed screw in his model T and wanted exclusive rights to it but Roberson refused to have his name removed from the design so Ford went back to the Philips.  The Roberson headed screw is superior in many ways but you will only find it in common use in Canada. Egos.:rolleyes:

These are pretty much the standard now around here for exterior screws. I thought it was something new. :facepalm:

4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Just using some today on a guitar resto... a truly Canadian colour to a Japanese copy of a British Vox Teardrop that was made in Italy.

Yellows and Greens

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-1bb0374421fb4a7fa2be6e0c3297a79d

Edited by 240260280