IGNORED

Oil pan paint

AZDatsun

My oil pan is doing the same thing, so the original paint must be removed.  It does concern me to leave it bare, though.  If your car were to be driven daily, it might not be a problem, as engine heat would routinely cook off any water (as vapor or liquid from condensation).  If not, then the inside of the oil pan could acquire some surface rust.

The question then becomes what to use.  Glyptol, powder coat, or perhaps a thermal dispersant (suggested here - https://www.jcmmachineandcoatings.com/coatings/oil-pan/) are possible solutions.

I don't recall ever seeing painted oil pans on other motors, also.  It seems like a good idea (for rust control I assume) that Nissan coated the inside surfaces, until it begins to fail. 

Interestingly, I just disassembled my motor, which has been on an engine stand since 1997 (all openings stuffed with something, so not hermetically sealed), and there was no rust on anything at all.  I hadn't turned the motor in over a year.  Whenever I did, I removed the plugs and squirted oil into each cylinder, and removed the valve cover and poured oil over the cam.  Then give a few turns by hand.  Since putting it on the engine stand, I've probably done that maybe 12-15 times. 

When I took it apart, everything was still covered in a thin film of oil.  So I am ambivalent about repainting the oil pan.  It's just one of at least 1000 decision points as I try to move forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Flash rust will be fine when you put 4.7 qts in there. That's all the more reason to spend a few more dollars on top shelf oil filters. I've used purolator pure one since 2011. Micron flitration vs money, it wins hands down. OEM Nissan are the best I guess but I try to not to go too far on simple stuff.

Purolator-PL25230-Filter.jpg

My pan had that black paint inside with some surface rust mixed in. Got this pan from wal280z (thanks bud). See top pan on pic. I wire wheeled it clean and left it bare on thee inside
and then painted the outside with POR-15 followed but a high temp clear.
3ea84bb758db6dbc2238b5f8245085f4.jpg
375b5cdddae1f0a561d0431ee217f552.jpg
6f684c20a96483ca568962fc8936da46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did that rusted pan come straight off a running motor?

Did you spray or brush the POR-15 -guessing brushed.  I ask because I like the film toughness, but the few times I've used it I can't get it done without leaving brush marks.  Haven't tried spraying it yet.

I brushed it on with a foam brush. It seems to be a self leveling paint so I didn’t really have any steaks. I use that stuff all the time and it always come out very smooth . No, that pan didn’t come off a running engine. Not sure how long it had been sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk