IGNORED

Don't buy this from Z Car Depot

SteveJ

6 hours ago, SteveJ said:

creating a jig to heat and mold the hose into shape.

I did that a number of years ago. Back before I started taking pictures of stuff like that. My "jig" was a piece of coat hanger wire that was bent into the desired shape (over-bent actually to account for spring-back), and my "heat" was a toaster oven. Worked pretty well. I did some parts out of Viton and some others out of neoprene.

PSA -  :excl:   Don't burn the Viton or anything else with fluorine in it.   :excl:

Some more detail just to fill out the story... I ran a pair of those tubes on a some round tops for a while and then pulled the round tops off to go back to flat tops. They worked great while on the car. No binding or other issues.

However...

Just a few days ago (quite coincidently) I was inspecting those round tops and noticed that the rubber tubes were failing. Cracking around where they were expanded onto the nipples at the ends. I don't know why they were failing. It was Viton from McMaster, so it should have been quality material. Maybe I did some damage with the heat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I did that a number of years ago. Back before I started taking pictures of stuff like that. My "jig" was a piece of coat hanger wire that was bent into the desired shape (over-bent actually to account for spring-back), and my "heat" was a toaster oven. Worked pretty well. I did some parts out of Viton and some others out of neoprene.

PSA -  :excl:   Don't burn the Viton or anything else with fluorine in it.   :excl:

Some more detail just to fill out the story... I ran a pair of those tubes on a some round tops for a while and then pulled the round tops off to go back to flat tops. They worked great while on the car. No binding or other issues.

However...

Just a few days ago (quite coincidently) I was inspecting those round tops and noticed that the rubber tubes were failing. Cracking around where they were expanded onto the nipples at the ends. I don't know why they were failing. It was Viton from McMaster, so it should have been quality material. Maybe I did some damage with the heat.

Hmm, I could get a cheap toaster oven from Wally-World.

10 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Thanks. I'll make the inquiry.

As far as the other types of hose I'm buying, I am planning on doing some trials on a spare set of carburetors I have to see if the different types have the necessary flexibility as the nozzle moves with the choke.

@Mark Maras, Pam at ZTherapy confirmed. part number ZT20 is for the float bowl hoses. 

So I went digging through my carburetor parts in my parts storage today. (Something I should have done months ago.) I found some black Helix Racing Products 3/16 ID x 5/16 OD fuel line. At 3/16 ID, it's a tight fit on the float bowls, but it should work.

https://www.helixracingproducts.com/316x-3-fuel-line-black

https://www.amazon.com/Helix-Racing-Fuel-Line-Black/dp/B000WK5J0Y

It did not kink at a bend radius of less than an inch. It's stiffer than the Nissan hoses, so I will put it on a spare set of carburetors to see if it binds the nozzles.

It is tolerant to 10% ethanol and is less than $10 for 3 feet.

• Like 1

Oh, I also found I had 2 sets of Nissan hoses...in addition to the set I just purchased...And I'm still trying to figure out why I took a camshaft someone offered me...at least I think it was given to me...I don't recall buying a camshaft...or that Helix fuel line (According to Amazon that was 3 years ago.)

• Like 1

Nothing like more options.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pnpages/15-04818.php?gclid=CjwKCAiA17P9BRB2EiwAMvwNyGDVuhht0dypa-XwCNqz7pVIJ_WSV9hDGVqKnMOl-WcpRjx2K9uCiRoCFJUQAvD_BwE

Gotta trust an air craft supplier would sell hose that is fuel worthy. 

E0504C24-6488-4EA0-A6F9-8045C0211AEA.jpeg

Been studying fuel tubing. Seems Viton tubing is getting the nod. One description.

https://www.new-line.com/hose/tubing/viton-tubing/viton-rubber-tubing

Edited by zKars