IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I loved the 64 GTO, the look was so basic but they only gave that style 1 yr before they turned it into  GM's Galaxy 500, anyone know why they ditched the 64 look so quickly?

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg1965-pontiac-gto.jpg13352093-1966-ford-galaxie-500-std.jpg

I'm guessing why they changed the body style after one year has to do with shared sheet metal with other GM brands. My old friend's dad was a hot-rodder back in the sixties. He bought a 64 GTO that had been rolled.  Everything was repairable with the exception of the top. He couldn't find a top for a 64 GTO but he did find that a 64 Buick top was identical except for some added chrome strips that came with the Buick top. It was a perfect fit. 

Edited by Mark Maras
  • Like 1

That would make sense.  GM's intermediate line cars were identical in some ways, very similar in others.  They often shared body shells.  If you want to see this in action, check the early 50's Chevrolet - Olds - Pontiac - Buick sedans, especially the rear ends. The rear fenders were nearly identical in those cars, but side trim and grilles differed. 

Just IMHO - to my eye, the 1966 and 1967 GTOs were some of the most beautiful cars GM ever built. The styling from front to back was eye-catching, graceful and lovely. But it's true, they completely abandoned the squared-off look of the earlier GTO/Lemans models.

• Like 1

Another clean 78, 5 speed.  I don't know how the bumper rubber can last so long.  A driver survivor, looks like somebody rattle-canned the undercarriage for the pictures.  But none of the usual speed bump, curb jump, incorrect jack placement dents in the subframe rails.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-datsun-280z-82/

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

That would make sense.  GM's intermediate line cars were identical in some ways, very similar in others.  They often shared body shells.  If you want to see this in action, check the early 50's Chevrolet - Olds - Pontiac - Buick sedans, especially the rear ends. The rear fenders were nearly identical in those cars, but side trim and grilles differed. 

Just IMHO - to my eye, the 1966 and 1967 GTOs were some of the most beautiful cars GM ever built. The styling from front to back was eye-catching, graceful and lovely. But it's true, they completely abandoned the squared-off look of the earlier GTO/Lemans models.

If my memory is correct, the Buick top was from a Skylark.

Question for those in the know? Did Nissan and Toyota share some body panels back around 1984? The reason I ask is, I parked my son's 84 Camry next to a Nissan ? of around the same year. I was amazed to see that both trunk lids appeared to be identical.  I confirmed it by measuring both with a dollar bill..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

But then there is the 63-65 Riviera,

1965_buick_riviera-pic-8566134088326642504.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

But then there is the 63-65 Riviera,

Not the optimum picture of a Riv, IMO, but point taken and agreed with.  GM Design (styling) was on a major roll in the years from 1963-1965.  Everybody has their favourite, but it has to be said that The General rarely put a foot wrong during those 3 model years.  Examples:

• 1963 Corvette Sting Ray (arguably improved in 1965, although the split rear window was a styling tour de force and should have been retained)
  • 1963 Pontiac Bonneville
  • 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442
  • 1965 Chevrolet Corvair
  • 1963 Buick Riviera

Things started to go a bit sideways starting in 1966, but there remained a couple of additional exceptional designs , the original Oldsmobile Toronado being the leading example (a great riff on 'big car' styling).  I personally loved the 2nd-generation Riviera.

Styling is a great topic because there is no 'wrong answer'.  Even the AMC Pacer had some exceptional elements.  And who can argue with the brilliance of the original Ford Mustang fastback coupe?  And the 1963 Studebaker Avanti?

I can't think of any Chrysler examples, though (maybe the original Dodge Charger).

• Like 3

On 1/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, Carl Beck said:

If I bought a GTO - it would have be the 1964.

I knew that 64 was first but I like what they did in 65 to sharpen the lines.  It was all straight lines and angles.  Found a 64 on BAT, below.

I actually bought a 66 GTO body, in high school, and put a Chevy engine in it.  The motor mount pedestals unbolted and the swap to Chevrolet from Pontiac was easy.  It was basically a Malibu frame with GTO sheet metal.  I bought the car half-stripped down, no windshield, interior, engine, transmission.  It was a project.  Every day was winging it, no clue what I was trying to do.  My English teacher thought I was deep in thought about class material but I was really just making a list of all of the parts I needed to get. 

I picked up a 63 Bonneville 4 door also, for free from a friend's family, after I wrecked the GTO.  389 and four speed automatic.  That was a fine machine.  I miss those old heavy metal cars.  Even the 72 Ford LTD with the 351 Windsor.  Smooth motor.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-pontiac-gto-23/

image.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Chrysler pseudo-Supra.  Wonder if it felt like a K-car with fender flares.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-chrysler-conquest-10/

image.png

A fellow racer had the sister car to this, the Mitsubishi Starion. Turbo 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual. Very fast.

We shared it in a 6 hour endurance race, with another guy. The other guy did the first two hours, I did the second stint, then my buddy took over. We were leading in our class, with 20 minutes to go when the head gasket blew.

We had enough of a lead that we still finished 3rd.

• Like 2