IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

$11,700 now!!!! :blink:
Runs today

We are living in a crazy world. I don’t understand it and the only thing I can think of is people are coming to the realization that their money is losing value so fast they want to move it into any asset as soon as possible. 6.2% inflation un October which is the highest in 30 years and that’s after removing energy from the CPI. That clouds the real inflation figures because crude oil is up 65% and Natural Gas 112% in 2021. We are living in truly unprecedented times and it is reflected in the price of used and particularly classic cars.
That Z is not worth 11k on any universe except this crazy one we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Agree 1

While the current bid is perplexing, I can't help wondering who provides the listing's "Est. Retail Value". Now, in my mind, the $46.3K shown is the real astounding number here.

I could understand its fantasy value if the Owner provides the number, but if it comes from BaT (as I should think ethics should require), they should be ashamed of themselves.

Est. value: $.02 from the cheap seats.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-79/

So what's the verdict on this one? Looked like a nice car to start with. I feel the presentation of it was less than ideal with heavily edited videos, some poorly staged photos, and the lack of basic cold start/driving videos to get a sense of the true car and what quirks it may have. Not very many Z specific photos to show things like the battery tray or good shots of the frame rails for instance. 

$65K seems like a good starting point, especially considering it was listed in the middle of a holiday and ended just a few weeks away from Christmas. I was shooting that it would make it to $70-$75K and sell. 

Really nice Z though, nicer than a good amount of the ones recently listed on BaT. It did have a few flaws - antenna, wrong finish on the tail light panel, center console wear, HVAC panel held on with (wood?) screws, and the RH rack boot just hanging - which didn't seem to get picked up by a majority of the people. 

50 minutes ago, CW240Z72 said:

$65K seems like a good starting point, especially considering it was listed in the middle of a holiday and ended just a few weeks away from Christmas. I was shooting that it would make it to $70-$75K and sell.

...which would - if you believe two of the vaunted 'gurus' in the BaT comments - have left the seller with a $25k+ sized black hole on "restoration costs" they assured us must have been incurred.

Over-hyping by these heavily invested characters does not - in my opinion - help.    

• Agree 1