IGNORED

280Z Barn Find

northernz

35 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

did you get a chance to check out the AC? just wondering if possible the R12 has not leaked out.

Actually we did have to disconnect the AC line to clean some surface rust caused by weeping brake fluid from the master cylinder. We were surprised to find some pressure in the line. In hindsight we would have pumped it out, but since we didn't expect to find any, we didn't. Lesson learned.

have you tried pulling a vacuum? also you will have to replace the drier now (prob got moisture in while disconnected). The drier if its the 33286 style is NLA, so you have a choice, have it rebuilt (can be done, have to cut open and replace desicant) or bend up the hard lines to fit one that is close but not exact fit.

R-12 can be had and would be the way to go. having pressure in it means good chance the internals will be ok.

Pulling the vacuum and seeing how it holds will tell a lot. The OE compressor is very sturdy, I have the OE in my 75 and it works just fine.

You should check the small filter on the firewall high side, its under the fitting, just make sure its clear (do this while the system is not pressurized).

Edited by Dave WM

another thing to check, see if the evap line is clear back to the over flow tank. Its the  hard line that is routed with the fuel and rear brake lines. Mine was rusted, rendering the evap non functional. Its steel and can have condensate in it, making rust a problem, more so that even fuel lines. If you can blow thru it you should be ok. Its got designed restriction, but still you should be able to blow air thru it. I cut the bottom section out (where the rust was) and used some hard plastic line to replace. It was beyond clearing with cleaners and air, solid rust internally. If you opt to replace it with steel, its a pita, lots of bends and have to remove the various lines to get access into the rubber mounts used to route the other lines.

I love originality but only if it functions as well. If not I fix it with OE if possible.

Edited by Dave WM