IGNORED

280z radio pinout?

On 7/29/2022 at 1:11 AM, Av8ferg said:

I made the wrong assumption the fuses were good

I have a saying i use A LOT!     Meten is weten, de rest kun je vergeten!   Translated it's something like: To measure is to know, the rest you can forget!

I've seen a guy with a new just returned engine from a known restorer, it did'nt fire up.. i told him to look if the timing was set up good (chain.)  He got mad at me because the man who build this engine was a Mercedes engineer.. so he assumed the engine was good.. 

The best way is like often done in service manuals, start at the beginning and sort everything out, i don't want to say to do this always but if things get complicated you better start checking everything from the start, also things other mechanics did for you.

Thanks Gents.   It’s sure easy not to take your own advice,  Hard to believe I use to run a 300 man maintenance department that maintained 20 jets for the USMC.   We had smart guys working in there and I was very familiar with the jet. I could land, and tell them….you need to inspect and or replace the “blah blah valve” before they put any test equipment on the airplane.   Like DutchCarGuy said.   I would then say.  go through the maint publication step-by-step before you replace anything.  My policy was to verify every gripe before throwing a part at it.  The difference is with my Z parts aren’t $90k.  E.g: My reverse lights don’t work.  The switch on the transmission is $16, instead of testing I’m wanting to just replace it.  If I’m gonna jack this car up I want to do it once.   Sounds lazy? 

fyi, i had a reverse switch that did not work, turned out i had installed a copper washer during the rebuild that was not there before. remove the washer, bingo switch works. Agree 100% on testing things before throwing new parts, and when a new part is deemed needed, test it before installing...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave WM said:

test it before installing...

When it's a "after market copy" product.. yes!  (Please install original!)

If you have a switch for 16 bucks i would not mess with the old one and put in a new.. unless this is a "as we said in the seventies"  a jokytoky part  (In that time meaning a bad, very bad japanese copy part.. now these days we mean a bad, very bad china part with that expression hahaha..

In the seventies the Japanese were doing what the chinese are doing now... only these days the chinese are much worse.. (Japan made also very good working copy's haha)

• Like 1

The Chinese are a threat to the world in many ways. They are the leader in CO2 emissions, are an authoritarian government that keeps its foot on the neck of its people, steals intellectual property, undermines civil liberties and uses it power and influence to strong arm companies and governments. The least of our problems are the crappy stuff they make but I agree. Not sure why we (western democracies) do business with them. The only reason I can guess is that we value money more that our western values. It’s like feeding the neighbors dog steaks over the fence, when everyday it threatens to chew your face off. We deserve what we are getting !

• Agree 4

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2020 at 6:39 AM, Captain Obvious said:

What do the wires do? I think I can help with that:

Blue is +12V power in. Hot when in ACC and ON.
Blacks (two of them) are grounds The one on the 6-position connector is used as the low side power for the radio, and the bullet is used as a speaker ground.
White/Black is also a speaker ground. I think it just gets connected to the black ground wires in the car harness.
White is right hand speaker output.
Black/Red bullet is left hand speaker output.
Green/White is panel illumination high side. Goes to the headlight switch.
Red/Blue is panel illumination ground side. Goes to the rheostat.

Does that make sense?

@Captain Obvious old thread I am installing a Clarion radio and I do not have the BLACK/RED. It only has 5 wires:

Blue
Green/White
Red/Blue

White and White/Black

My original 280z harness has the 6 pin back connector which does have a Black/Red but this Clarion do not have this wire so I am assuming Radios on 240z/280z were always mono. I am not sure if the original may be the Hitachi radio is a two speaker stereo setup.

For now I tried getting sound via White/Black wire with external ground but no use. At this time planning to just connect the white wire with an external AMP and use the two speakers in parallel.

16 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Be careful grounding out a lead that is unknown can be quite risky. Very easy to blow the speaker outputs.

So what is the best way to proceed here? just connect the two speaker wires to the White and White/Black wires from the Radio?

56 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I believe the 240-280 radios were all mono.

Can you take a pic of the connector on the back of the Clarion?

It’s in the post link in my previous reply. But here it is…

it shows 6 pins but one of the white wire from the radio was split Y going into 2 of this connector pins.

IMG_9104.jpeg

Edited by MH77280Z