IGNORED

280z radio pinout?

My 78Z has the original radio and doesn't use the 5 pin DIN connection.  It does use both the 3 and 6 pin "molex" connections.  My radio model is a KMS-2411Z.  The original set up uses a "sub harness" that connects the radio to the main console harness.  These sub harnesses can be hard to find since many owners simply discarded them when they installed aftermarket sound systems.  Give me a little while and I think i can come of with a few photos of the set up showing the wiring scheme.

• Like 1

It's a interesting radio, stereo, should be a S button on the front panel.  Might have been a expensive optional radio in 78.  I assume you got the sub harness with the purchase of the radio.  Could not find the service manual online.  One site shows they have it but no way to download the pdf and view it.

However, a good guess is the 3 pin molex is for the power antenna control.  The 6 pin molex is power and speakers.  The din connector is possibly for a external 8 track tape option.  I don't think cassette was quite available yet in cars.

On the 6 pin connector with the 5 wires,  Nissan typically used Blue for +12v power, Black for ground.  The remaining wires should be for the speakers, 2 since it is stereo.

The earlier radio's, Nissan grounded the speaker on one side and used only one wire to drive the speaker from the radio.  This may be different.  The speaker in the mono radio was 4 ohms,  they may have switched to 8 ohms in your version.

i would bench test the radio with some sort of 12v power supply to verify it powers up and figure out the speaker connections before installing it in the car.

Hope this helps...

r

The 3 pin molex is not for the power antenna...the power antenna is a completely separate connection that extends directly from the power antenna switch (mounted to the right side of the radio in the 78 year model) to the main console/dash harness.  However, that separate antenna molex connector is very similar (if not exact) to the 3 pin molex connector that plugs directly into the back of the radio.

Edited by ea6driver

Here's a photo that shows specifically which color wires connect to each of the "spades" in the back of the radio.  Note that on the 6 pin connector that the lower right position is unused...at least in the hitachi radio in the 78 year model Z. So there are 8 wires that connect into the radio.  The other end of the "sub harness" has the wires grouped together differently...I'll post a photo of that end of the sub harness below...

IMG_5445.JPG

• Like 1