IGNORED

C’mon! Own up ...

AK260

Chromecasts work very nicely - I have them on four different TV sets in various parts of the house. 

A flip phone is, IMHO, an outdated piece of technology and continuing its use penalizes the owner by preventing access to many helpful capabilities. 

I generally buy used unlocked phones on Ebay - no contract and I save tons of money. 

• Like 1

A flip phone is, IMHO, an outdated piece of technology and continuing its use penalizes the owner by preventing access to many helpful capabilities.  

Much like using carbs v EFi I guess :p

But what we are not appreciating here is that [mention]Captain Obvious[/mention] is still beating his clothes between two rocks by the river, winding up his gramophone / listening to the wireless set while winding his clocks daily.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Unless of course you don't need those "capabilities", in my case they are just more useless features, that's why my flip phone is good enough for my needs. I turn it on to make a call and turn it off when I'm done. 

Paper map users of the world unite!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless of course you don't need those "capabilities", in my case they are just more useless features, that's why my flip phone is good enough for my needs. I turn it on to make a call and turn it off when I'm done. 

And I bet you only need to charge it once a week! [emoji106][emoji106]

9 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

A flip phone is, IMHO, an outdated piece of technology

Describes me too, so I guess it fits.  Haha!! 

Seriously though, about the only time I miss having a more highly featured phone is when I travel. For finding local attractions like food or entertainment, and directions to such places. Other than that, I'm still satisfied. It makes and receives calls and rudimentary texts. I'm good.

And yes... I only have to charge it every couple of days. I see people sitting in public places huddled around the wall outlets charging their devices and sometimes quarrelling about the use of the outlet.    :ermm:

My criteria for my phone goes like this: 

Makes and receives calls and texts. Small as possible. Long battery life. No external call activating buttons and cannot (not just "unlikely", but CANNOT) pocket dial by accident, even if I'm in there playing with myself and push a couple buttons by accident. That's about it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I tried to find a decent paper map recently and it's about impossible.  Even the Thomas Guide is essentially unfindable.  And the internet maps are poor, the ones on your tiny phone thing, most of the streets and small cities aren't named until you zoom in on them.  What you're supposed to do is turn on Location and do what your phone/computer tells you to do.  "Turn left in 300 yards..."  Doesn't work in the boonies, no coverage.  It's incredible how technology's advancement is making us all less capable.  I used to be able to read a map with my right eye while driving with my left one.  

https://laist.com/2018/06/22/thomas_guide_maps_the_rise_and_fall.php

• Like 2

Great example, @Zed Head. I am aware of the options that a smart phone provides and haven't been without one since they became available. Maps and live travel advisories on traffic and congestion are just one valuable option.  I frequently need to access Internet-based info ("Google it")while out of the house and being able to do so has saved me significant time and money by having that ability.

I'm mostly preaching to the choir, so I'll be done - just hate to see people cutting themselves off from timely information and access to services.

Sometimes I do long division on paper just to keep that part of my brain moving, the part that was formed many many years ago .  Today you don't even need to open a calculator anymore, just type in "378 divided by 22 =" and an answer pops up.  Sad...

Incredible, but still sad.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

11 hours ago, AK260 said:

And I bet you only need to charge it once a week! emoji106.pngemoji106.png

Uummmmm, every 2-3 months, I make like 3-4 calls on it a month.

5 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I tried to find a decent paper map recently and it's about impossible. 

Absolutely, gas station maps have really taken a dive the last few yrs.  The Rand-Mcnally  large map books are pretty good and they don't fall apart the second time you open it.

• Like 2