IGNORED

31K Miles Series I 240Z Up for Auction on BaT - Over $100k on First Day!

lonetreesteve

Great to see such a nice original 1970 240Z. My car is less than 300 chassis later and also built in 8/70. Going to use this one as a reference as I slowly restore my car.

Question for the experts out there, should I return mine to original or keep all the BRE/Interpart/Mulholland upgrades fitted by the first owner, including original American Racing 14" Libre wheels. It came with BRE front and rear spoilers, Interpart/Mulholland suspension upgrade including sway bars, adjustable camber bushings, compression rod bearing, steering coupler, BRE exhaust header. All the bits were on the car when I got it, it had been sitting in storage since the early 1980s but I have it up and running/driving now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Great to see such a nice original 1970 240Z. My car is less than 300 chassis later and also built in 8/70. Going to use this one as a reference as I slowly restore my car.

Question for the experts out there, should I return mine to original or keep all the BRE/Interpart/Mulholland upgrades fitted by the first owner, including original American Racing 14" Libre wheels. It came with BRE front and rear spoilers, Interpart/Mulholland suspension upgrade including sway bars, adjustable camber bushings, compression rod bearing, steering coupler, BRE exhaust header. All the bits were on the car when I got it, it had been sitting in storage since the early 1980s but I have it up and running/driving now.

keep all the upgrades!!

Predictions on closing bid?  It is interesting to see these cars make their way out into the light after storage for many years.  With the high number (relative) of series I cars that were made, I am sure there are more still hunkered down in storage.

I'm fairly negative on this car and just don't see the comparative value with a few cars I have seen on BaT lately.  The speedometer is my tip-off.  I simply don't believe this car has 31,000 original miles.  I'm guessing that the speedometer has been replaced or the odometer set back.  Picture 110.  Why would the face plate on the speedometer shift like that on a car with only 31,000 miles?  And did you read about why the heater is blocked off?  Because the previous owner didn't want excessive heat in the cabin?

I smell a rat.

• Like 2

Seems like the guys writing the BAT words weren't sure about the 31,000 miles either.  They say "shows" 31k, not has.  

Interesting though, the service records indicate not many miles at all from 1981, the 30,000 plus is all pre-storage.  I pulled a few dates and mileages from the receipts.  Too bad there's not more before 1979.  30,000 miles in 8 years is 3,750 / year.  Weekend cruiser numbers. 15,000 / year is daily driver numbers and gets 120,000 total.  So those 79 odometer numbers could be rollover numbers.  Are the numbers all wonky, the rollover clue?

July 28 1979 30,191

July 16 1981 30,395 

July 17 2017 30625
August 1 2017 30626

Haven't seen an unrolled odometer so can't judge.  Wear on other parts would be a sign also.  Gears, throttle linkage, stuff like that.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

28 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

I'm fairly negative on this car and just don't see the comparative value with a few cars I have seen on BaT lately.  The speedometer is my tip-off.  I simply don't believe this car has 31,000 original miles.  I'm guessing that the speedometer has been replaced or the odometer set back.  Picture 110.  Why would the face plate on the speedometer shift like that on a car with only 31,000 miles?  And did you read about why the heater is blocked off?  Because the previous owner didn't want excessive heat in the cabin?

I smell a rat.

I too have issues with not just this car, but what I feel is a group of “Big time Collectors” making comments and bids that establish a valve of of their cars. I started wondering about this car when 100k happened. Right away one of them comes to his rescue about how he is a big time collector and a smart investor. REALLY what smart, informed collector throws out that bid on day one.???????    Will that bidder be there at the end or just establishing a value. 

Something I find odd is the plating on most of the parts in the engine compartment looks like it is silver?  I would think the parts should look more like the green car that sold for $310k.  When compared to that car, lots of things are... different:

• Front bumper rubber strips installed without care to keep the embedded fastener from torquing/twisting the rubber so it is not straight
  • tape lines on the back edge of the driver side door and front edge of driver side quarter panel?
  • tail light trim panels and license light painted black? 
  • rear bumper rubber dry rotted and cracked?
  • rear license light cover distorted from heat (usually an indication of lots of use as heat from the bulbs distorts the plastic over time)
  • "adjusted" driver side door latch receiver (pic 152)
  • wear on brake and clutch pedal pads (pics 159 and 160)
  • no pics of driver or passenger floor jute - most of it appears to be missing
  • shift knob looks like a replacement nos item instead of the original ones.  Compare with the $310k car.  Why was that replaced?
  • rear hatch main rubber seal - dry rotted
  • rear hatch jute missing/condition of pieces that remain
  • silver spray painted rear hatch latch
  • careless damage to air filter cover by banging against brake master cylinder bleed screw during removal
  • not original air filter cover bolts
  • condition of original(?) cloth weave heater supply and return hoses
  • condition of plating on hard lines 
  • driver seat upholstery distortion/seams starting to come apart (seat on passenger side)
  • lack of blue paint on block...
  • missing original Nichira center resonator and pipe
  • Nichira rear muffler looks like a possible nos replacement?

Engine compartment really doesn't compare well with the high mark green car.  

I think the car is nice, but it doesn't look like a 30k mile car to me.  Maybe it is, but spent a lot of years on a carport where it wasn't as protected by the elements as in a garage?

• Like 1