IGNORED

240ZBUILTBYME 1971 240z HS-001063 Project Sheena

240ZBUILTBYME

2 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

What shape burrs do you use for spot welds? 

And I'll add to that:

• Which die grinder type do you find works best for spot-weld work:  straight?  right-angle?  Or does it depend on the weld location and accessibility?
  • Do you see any merit in a variable-speed feature for this type of work?
  • Have you tried the 'low-noise' designs and, if so, do they live up to their billing?

8 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Yep, the kit has a sprung drill bit in the center, I center punched then drilled a pilot hole with the sprung drill bit, once it was deep enough I put enough pressure to contact the actual cutter, still walked around. I just found the standard drill but type didn’t walk and then you don’t have to grind down any little circles after either. Just my experience with it. 

I'm talking about pre drilling the spot weld with a separate 1/8" drill bit then when you go to use the cutter the spring loaded drill is held captive. Actually it is the spring that is the problem, it doesn't push with enough pressure.  I spent about $70 on that kit and I was determined to get my moneys worth out of it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I'm talking about pre drilling the spot weld with a separate 1/8" drill bit then when you go to use the cutter the spring loaded drill is held captive. Actually it is the spring that is the problem, it doesn't push with enough pressure.  I spent about $70 on that kit and I was determined to get my moneys worth out of it.

I agree it probably is the spring that is the problem. Oh you mean drill all the way through both sheets of metal? But then you have to go back and fill all the holes? 

10 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Yep, weld through primer. I’m using copper, upol brand. 

How do you like it?  I've been using the zinc only formula they make and it works well for welding.  I have not yet tested it for corrosion protection.

4 minutes ago, ETI4K said:

How do you like it?  I've been using the zinc only formula they make and it works well for welding.  I have not yet tested it for corrosion protection.

I actually haven’t used it just yet, it’s sitting waiting, probably next time I work on the car hopefully. Copper upol is what most professionals use here in oz. not sure about corrosion protection but it’s got to be better than what the factory used back in the day......NOTHING! 😂

I have never used a low noise type. But if it's anything like the low-noise type air ratchet I have; it wont be very quiet. Maybe the low-noise type are intended to be hearing safe

I was wrong...

I have more than 6 or 7 LOL. This isn't even all of them. :blush:

20210716_183347.jpg

Sorry about the rotation. It displays properly on my computer and in an editor...

This is my tool of choice for spot welds. You can tell it's been hot. It's done hundreds of welds. I find a straight one is easier to use than the angle grinder because of the better leverage

20210716_183404.jpg

This is also really nice for dressing welds. A 1" Rolok

20210716_183413.jpg

The biggest problem with it is the pads go very quickly!! They are also hard to source and about $0.35 each. I normally dress welds mostly down with the 3" cut off wheel. Then fine tune with the 1" and 2" Roloks

• Like 2