IGNORED

Z Proto: The next z reveal

AZDatsun

Overall the lines are very clean and Nissan certainly avoided the Supra's wretched excess of bulges, bends, and faux scoops and vents. If Nissan really wants to pay homage to the S30 line, the gaping maw of a grill has to go - it needs to be a substantially broader and flatter rectangle. To me the hood screams Chevy Camaro, nothing elegant about it. Expand the headlights to more resemble the sugar scoops (yes, keep then covered). Open up the quarter lights by eliminating the sharp break upwards and continuing the door line (ala S30). The rear end is a bit  soft on the lines, could use a more crisp definition. Overall, too much 370Z carryover.

• Like 2

Hmm thought experiment, would you prefer a S30 Brand new or this. I no hesitation on my part. I know I know, Dave quit living in the past, this so much better...

Still no way I would trade my 75 dat boi for this one. One of the issues is limited garage space, with out that I would be in trouble. So you have to choose.

Prob the biggest issue I have with all new cars is I like to wrench on them, and my skills and tools are limited, so I have to have old tech that I can work on. I still think I would go for the MX-5 RF, much truer to the orig idea of a NA inline light weight sporty car like the S30. If I wanted a super car I would prob take a hard look at a corvette.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 2

I agree 100% The Z has to remain a stand alone in the Nissan stable.

If there is one positive esthetically, the grill is better proportioned in the concept SUV due to its higher stance.

Here's a review: https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/z-sus-is-just-alright-with-me/

The 240 had an attractive (although useless) bumper that occluded the view of the lower half of the grill. Here's hoping the 400 grill height can be reduced by a 1/3rd to approximate Ante's law of proportions. In the alternative, divide the grill horizontally with a band of chrome or brushed metal.

Cheers,

George

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 7:28 AM, 240260280 said:

Given the current state of Nissan, I guess this is the best they could do.

But when I see the black paint on the roof & pillars, the rockers,  and the lower rear bumper to psychologically reduce the visual of the underlying bloated 370 base, it seems they would need to address these with actual structural changes rather than the paint camouflage trickery. 

The crease in the side body looks odd descending from front to back too.  Reversing the slope could make it a little more aggressive/straked.

image.png

Why not straight like the S30?  I have to say that I hate most news cars today, but this makes me want to go and drive one to see what its about.

• Like 1

I don't believe Nissan has any inline 6 in their inventory (I may be wrong). They're not going to build one for a single low-selling model, and they've used a V6 for years. Any souls to be lost have disappeared long since....

That's why Toyota partnered with BMW on the Supra - they had no inline 6 and BMW had one of the world's best.

If you want an inline-6, better be ready for a BMW engine in your Z.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 1