IGNORED

Refurbished 1970 240Z Sells for $77,240 on BaT

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

#4095 but clean and pretty. Will be interesting to see the results on the other one

true mileage unknown believed to be 103k

Frankly Charles, I was very surprised to see the car go for over $77k. I thought that it would probably go in the high 50's at the most. The final selling price confirms how a complete quality mechanical & cosmetic refurbishment on a California 1970 240Z can go for nowadays.   

As far as the '70 Sunshine Yellow 240Z is concerned, it is a very solid car and is very close to original condition. However, the body of the car has a lot of dings in its original paint. The eventual winner may just restore the car rather than trying to repair all of the dings and other imperfections in the paint  as well as redo the interior.  One thing's for sure, is that the car would make a great candidate for a complete restoration.  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-51/

• Like 1

I was a little surprised it went for $77k.  If you look close, it appears as if the wheel arches are not straight.  As if they are finished with bondo. The rocker seams are missing along with the rear valance seams.  On the closeup shots, the paint job looked a little rough too.  To top it off, the description says the seller hasn't driven the car since it has been restored.  Does that mean it doesn't run or it has some electrical issues that haven't been worked out yet?   It seems like a project at 60% complete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 87mj said:

I was a little surprised it went for $77k.  If you look close, it appears as if the wheel arches are not straight.  As if they are finished with bondo. The rocker seams are missing along with the rear valance seams.  On the closeup shots, the paint job looked a little rough too.  To top it off, the description says the seller hasn't driven the car since it has been restored.  Does that mean it doesn't run or it has some electrical issues that haven't been worked out yet?   It seems like a project at 60% complete.

Good catch on the wheel arches and the missing seams!  I took a second look at the BaT listing and there were no driving videos, only a single video of the engine running.  Amazing how someone can drop over $77k on a car and not see it in person or at the very least have the ability to watch a driving video. Caveat Emptor!  

6 hours ago, lonetreesteve said:

Good catch on the wheel arches and the missing seams!  I took a second look at the BaT listing and there were no driving videos, only a single video of the engine running.  Amazing how someone can drop over $77k on a car and not see it in person or at the very least have the ability to watch a driving video. Caveat Emptor!  

Covid purchase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Something is going seriously wrong here..

I loaded a pic of the left extra handle.. and it did'nt work well.. my question.. did an early 240z have that one also on the left driverside door?

Good eye!  No,  all 240Zs only came with the handle on the passenger side. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lonetreesteve said:

I have wondered for a long time if these sales all close or do some fall through? Is there an out for the buyer?
anyone have any knowledge about that?

2 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

I just saw "The Guild"s Facebook page saying that the Franklin Mint Car sold again.

Yes, I just read about the sale on Instagram well. I also remember seeing on IG that the car has been at the 240ZGuild for a few months getting some work done to it (mostly the underside) and was displayed in their showroom.