IGNORED

14 Project Zs For Sale - Includes Six 240Zs on Craigslist Spokane

Here's the link: https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/spokane-collection/7137154337.html

"Field of Dreams: (14) Datsun Z project cars - must go. Retirement reality = deals on one or all cars. I have six, '72-73 240 Z cars priced priced at: $ 1,200-2,800 . Two '74 260 Z cars @ $ 1,000-1,700. Six '75-80 280Z, 280 2+2, 280ZXcars priced at: $ 1,400-3,400. Cars are stock with some restoration and speed mods . All were driven to present site, but will need trailered. Some have rust issues, some don't...your choice. Have 4-speed, 5-speed & auto.

No parts will be sold....take the whole car or nothing. Must be removed within 30 days of sale. I have titles for cars and can help you air up the tires to load. Buy one or package deal possible. Located in Spokane, WA. Call Dave @ show contact info ."

00B0B_3ZQ1auHYb0r_0pO0jm_600x450.jpg

00v0v_ihp0x6UR9al_0pO0jm_600x450.jpg

00w0w_gk3ck2IrTVV_0pO0jm_600x450.jpg

00101_jdb85MBf7MT_0pO0jm_600x450.jpg

Edited by lonetreesteve

4 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

I just IM'd a friend in Spokane and he said that the seller is being inundated by interested buyers from all over the country.  It sounds like a bidding war for the lot.  ? 

If I were the seller, I would do the same thing if I was inundated with phone calls. Don't worry abut selling each car individually, sell all 6 of the 240Zs to highest bidder or even sell all 14 Zs to the same bidder!  

• Like 1

UPDATE: I spoke with the owner Dave and he told me that just minutes after he posted his listing on Craigslist that he had numerous phone calls for days that were not only located in all parts of the US, but also from Europe. He insisted that the six 240Zs be sold as a package and he had multiple parities bidding on the 240Zs. A gentleman from California was the winning bidder and he flew to Spokane to meet the seller, inspect the cars and see that all 6 cars were loaded on the carrier company's truck. The seller also mentioned that the new owner already owns a few 240Zs and is very passionate about 240Zs and plans to restore an keep all six of the cars. 

The seller also told me that the two 260Zs and the all 280Zs and 280ZXs were all still available. 

• Like 4

I am saddened that my beloved hobby has gotten this way.  When I fell in love with the S30 40 years ago, a huge part of the allure was that they were affordable.  I could buy rusty S30's as parts cars and make a pretty nice car for very little money.  11 years ago, I bought a 260Z out of a barn and made a race car out of it.  I paid $450 for the car and it was really solid overall.  The floors and rails were in very good shape and it just had some rust in the battery tray area and at the bottom of the rear quarters from mouse droppings that had accumulated over the many years it was stored.  Within just a few years, I could no longer afford replace that car should it be wrecked on track.  A similar condition body today would be nearly 10 times what I paid for my 260.  Every time I go on the track I risk writing off my car.  If and when that happens, it won't get replaced and I will likely never race another Z.  I for one don't like that prices have gone through the roof.  I'm happy for those of you that have beautiful Z cars that are increasing in value by the day.  Guy's collection, for example, is rightfully worth a ton of money.  It's the low end car value increase that I dislike.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

I am saddened that my beloved hobby has gotten this way.  When I fell in love with the S30 40 years ago, a huge part of the allure was that they were affordable.  I could buy rusty S30's as parts cars and make a pretty nice car for very little money.  11 years ago, I bought a 260Z out of a barn and made a race car out of it.  I paid $450 for the car and it was really solid overall.  The floors and rails were in very good shape and it just had some rust in the battery tray area and at the bottom of the rear quarters from mouse droppings that had accumulated over the many years it was stored.  Within just a few years, I could no longer afford replace that car should it be wrecked on track.  A similar condition body today would be nearly 10 times what I paid for my 260.  Every time I go on the track I risk writing off my car.  If and when that happens, it won't get replaced and I will likely never race another Z.  I for one don't like that prices have gone through the roof.  I'm happy for those of you that have beautiful Z cars that are increasing in value by the day.  Guy's collection, for example, is rightfully worth a ton of money.  It's the low end car value increase that I dislike.

Unfortunately, those days of $500 Z-cars are long gone.  However, I did purchase a '73 240Z without an engine or gearbox that was actually pretty solid about 4 and a half years ago for only $500 as a "Parts Car" for my two '71 240Z projects. As values kept going up over the last few years, I ended up selling it as a "Project Car" a few months ago for about 4 times the amount I originally paid for the car. 

I've seen some project Z-cars pop up on Craigslist from time to time, that are priced between $1,500 to $2,500, but unfortunately, they usually have a lot of rust issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

I too feel saddened that these cars are becoming unreachable for the average person. Seeing #1 and #2 cars go into six figures means they aren't a car that will be driven and enjoyed by average guys. The days of driving one to work or school as daily driver are long gone, and my fear of something happening to mine when I go out or on a roadtrip is stressful as I am unlikely to be able to easily replace it.

Jeff, I recall seeing your car and talking to you at Gingerman shortly after you built it.  I still run track days (in a Miata) and have been looking for a Z to run. Sadly, I also see that dream slipping away as the cars become more collectible.  About a year ago, I went to an estate sale and saw a Z for sale that was in somewhat rough shape. I considered buying it to turn into my track car, but couldn't bring myself to do that to a car that could be restored and enjoyed by someone else.  I prefer to find a car that has already been converted to a race/track car. It seems like finding the right one for the right price may never happen.

Luis

• Like 3