IGNORED

Would like to start a "One of these things is not like the other" forum group. Input?

zKars

As an example, here are the three styles of seat slider. I happen to have been embroiled in this discussion recently.

S30 1970-1978. North american

4E26F7F9-4CAA-48CA-8FF2-1886A5A4A234.jpeg

Left, 240Z, 1970-1973  Up to 7/73

Center 260Z and 75-76 280Z.  (Date range....)  8/73 - 7/76. (?)

Right 280z 1977-78.   8/76- 78

Rear of the slicers is at the top of the picture. Sorry about that.

240z. Studs in sliders go through holes in seat base. Nut/lock/flat attach (awkwardly !) from underside of metal frame.

260/280 . Round headed hex M8x1.25 chrome bolts attach through slider into captured nuts in seat base frame.

Notes that come to mind:

Since the way the sliders attach to seat bases is different as well, I should include pictures of the seat bases, but only from the perspective of the way the sliders mount, Not the webbing, or upholstry differences. That’s another thread.

I will copy of all this into a new thread In the new forum if and when it goes live.

Edited by zKars
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zKars said:

Dearly Beloved. 

I find myself explaining over and over again to various Z owners (all Datsun owners really) about the differences in various items and what year range they belong to. I am tired of doing so, and tires of hunting down pictures and URL's of stuff for them, and would just like to point them to a single URL where they can look up the answer to their question. What better place than our beloved CZCC forum....

I suggest the new forum be in Car Talk > Z > One of these things is not like the other

@mike , please chime in and let me know if you believe there is a better place or organization structure for this

I'm in support of this, great idea!  Any chance we can shorten the title of the forum?  I've noticed that long titles are truncated.

What would be neat would be a completely different type of format.  Like a timeline that could be added to and modified and expanded in between years and models.  The history format.  The problem that zKars is describing is really the work involved in going back to find the description or illustration, from some file or post from long ago.  Hunting down urls and pictures and posts (without numbers).

Any way to set up like a cascading list of threads that we could add to?  Non-serial, able to pick a spot halfway through a model year, for example, and add some new knowledge.  And visual, all on one page, not like the nested sub-forums that you have to open and search and close and reopen.  It's a lot of work just trying to dig in to the sub-forums to find a topic.  Get them all out on one page where you can see them all at one time.

Just a thought.  Otherwise, the new sub-forum will go dormant as they do and get buried with the other sub-forums.  It needs its own box at least.

48 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Well, the parts manual pretty much covers this topic...

I agree. If you master searching throught the carpartsmanual website or something like the e-fast database you will determine the timeline by the changing part numbers.

The bennifit of this thread, which is not there yet, would be to provide a photo with the relivantpart number.

For example

Type 1 up to 73 p/n: 86550-N3400 no lever

Type 1 up to 73 p/n: 87500-N3400 with lever etc

59 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Well, the parts manual pretty much covers this topic...

The Fiche definitely would be a go-to source of From/To date information for most parts history, but it does not give you anything resembling a decent picture of many uniqueness's between parts, or fine details. Only modern color pictures of real parts from several angles sometimes can show the level of detail. 

Here is one picture where I try to show the difference between the 74-76 door panels and the 77-78 along the back edge to show the subtle angle difference. (77-78 in front).

IMG_6116.JPG

No way the fiche is ever going to give you that.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm in support of this, great idea!  Any chance we can shorten the title of the forum?  I've noticed that long titles are truncated.

I know, any title will do, this one just resonates with me. It should be something more descriptive for sure.

"Illustrated S30 Parts History".

"Parts History Illustrated"  

"Parts Progression History, Illustrated"

Anyone else?

Edited by zKars