IGNORED

ZCON 2020 Hotel Impact?

jfa.series1

A very interesting article on the Covid-19 impact on the hotel industry - especially important as it might pertain to large convention gatherings.  Of course, if there is a Fall seasonal resurgence of the virus, a lot of things might change even more.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/so-long-minibar-how-coronavirus-changing-your-hotel-stay-n1180226

• Sad 1

Thinking about ZCON this year.  After being paid to stay home for over a month it'll be interesting to find out how many vacation days get wiped out.  If everything works out like Washington is thinking the month of September will be when we're getting back in stride and busy at the restaurant I work for.  I think I'll be able to get away for a week but am left wondering about others.  Time will tell but I sure hope we can all attend as planned.  Safe distance in a Z car?  I don't think so.  I figure in my Camry someone could sit in the back passengers side seat and we'd have 4 ft. :love:

I paid $1,500 for a mattress 2 years ago. Comfort is important to me now.

Mine are original cars from the '70s. Fun for a 30 minute rip around here but not road cars. 

But I might, and I mean a light might, drive my 280. I could park next to you and do that "better by comparison" thing and you'd get flogged with lookers while I sit back and drink beers. LOL

• Like 2

I bet Dave WM is older than you and he drove his Z from Orlando to Pikes Peak and back with a damaged timing chain guide. If you show up in a Camry you will have to hand over your man-card immediately before you can drink a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In four days I might add.. up and back with a couple day layover in Phenix city AL. I was going 70-80 most of the time 18hrs a day

also no radio (lost that in  KS, turned out to just be a sticky of off switch), lost brakes somewhere in Arkansas (my bad after not properly tighten up brake line fitting after replacing a rear brake slave), timing chain guide lasted till the return trip in TN, did not even know it and continued on home. Next up is the tail of the dragon, then the big'un, Alaska via the ALCAN hiway.

I thing the only real issue for making long trips is to replace that guide if it looks worn at all.

Edited by Dave WM

In four days I might add.. up and back with a couple day layover in Phenix city AL. I was going 70-80 most of the time 18hrs a day

also no radio (lost that in  KS, turned out to just be a sticky of off switch), lost brakes somewhere in Arkansas (my bad after not properly tighten up brake line fitting after replacing a rear brake slave), timing chain guide lasted till the return trip in TN, did not even know it and continued on home. Next up is the tail of the dragon, then the big'un, Alaska via the ALCAN hiway.

I thing the only real issue for making long trips is to replace that guide if it looks worn at all.

I think the guide failing was a outlier..I think they robust enough unless it been in there since new. If that’s the case maybe replace. Cars are like planes, they want to be driven. The less they’re driven the less reliable they become.

Driving in AZ without Air Conditioning is a no-go. Alabama humidity would suck too. Not sure if Cliff has AC. If we keep the pressure on him maybe we can get him to ditch the Camry for a weekend.

I’m probably gonna take a load of crap because I’m going to try to get my car there but it’s going to be a stretch. I might make it from a mechanical perspective but the body and interior probably won’t be complete.

I sold my current house last week and have it’s closing is on 15 Jun. The new house should be complete by them and then the Z arrives from my parents barn and the race is on to get her ready for a 11 hr drove to Nashville. It’s has AC, doubt it works but another thing to get sorted out before ZCon.

• Like 1

I don't think we (humans) will be traveling anytime soon.

People continue to be positive for months  and possibly permanently (like AIDS).  They do not seem to shake the disease (read link below).  If such a person was sitting beside you on a plane.... tag! you got it.

We will not get out of this unless a vaccine is found, and that may be a year or more. Also we may need to permanently isolate people with or, who had the virus.

This is not the flu but airborne aids-like communicable disease that causes the blood in your lungs to clot and kill you.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/covid-19-china-recovered-patients-continue-to-test-positive-for-virus-months-after-contraction

Edited by 240260280

3 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I bet Dave WM is older than you and he drove his Z from Orlando to Pikes Peak and back with a damaged timing chain guide. If you show up in a Camry you will have to hand over your man-card immediately before you can drink a beer.

That Camry was great in Memphis.  It's stealthiness worked very well for our craft beer tour downtown.  Ask our buddy.

Zebra Herd - Art Wolfe Store

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think we (humans) will be traveling anytime soon.
People continue to be positive for months  and possibly permanently (like AIDS).  They do not seem to shake the disease (read link below).  If such a person was sitting beside you on a plane.... tag! you got it.
We will not get out of this unless and vaccine is found and that may be a year or more. Also we may need to permanently isolate people with or had the virus.
This is not the flu but airborne aids-like communicable disease that causes the blood in your lungs to clot.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/covid-19-china-recovered-patients-continue-to-test-positive-for-virus-months-after-contraction

Well, I hope this isn’t the case but “hope” has never been a course of action that produces results.
Life is beginning to return to more normal where I live. People have come to the conclusion, right or wrong that this “destroy the economy” cure is worse than the disease. We’ve had 3 deaths in my county and all were in their late 70’s and 80’s and had other morbidity issues. We had 24 cases total and everyone else but 4 have recovered completely. People’s lives are at risk from loss of income. We had 9 beach drownings last year, 3x Covid-19 deaths and we didn’t close the city and county and people didn’t loose their jobs and businesses. People are demanding the state open back up. Sorry, this post is probably for the Covid-19 thread which I have stopped following.
How many lives is our $20 Billion economy worth? It’s a morbid thought but it’s real. I’ve done several aviation mishap investigations and the airlines put a $$ on you’re life. Most deaths in airline accidents are due to smoke inhalation but to put non-toxic materials in the interior of passenger jets is too expensive. They chose to spend less knowing it will mean more lost lives.
I’m an optimist and I’m planning for success. Humanity can do incredible things when pushed to the brink. A breakthrough is possible.
I’m plan on going to ZCon until we are closer to Sept.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, siteunseen said:

That Camry was great in Memphis.  It's stealthiness worked very well for our craft beer tour downtown.  Ask our buddy.

Yeah, I gotta admit... It wasn't as classy, but it sure blended in.    LOL   It's like my daily driver... I want it to be invisible.

You remember that one shaky looking neighborhood when we ended up startling the guy in the brewery?

Him, clearly startled - "Woah! Uhhh... Can I help you?"
Us, being a tasting flight up already - "We we're looking for beer."
Him (thankfully) amused - "Uhhh, OK. We got lots of that, but we don't sell it here."

Hahaha!!! We could have easily ended up in a cell for that one! I think the only thing that saved us was your trustworthy face!     ROFL

• Haha 2

Yeah, I gotta admit... It wasn't as classy, but it sure blended in.    LOL   It's like my daily driver... I want it to be invisible.
You remember that one shaky looking neighborhood when we ended up startling the guy in the brewery?
Him, clearly startled - "Woah! Uhhh... Can I help you?"
Us, being a tasting flight up already - "We we're looking for beer."
Him (thankfully) amused - "Uhhh, OK. We got lots of that, but we don't sell it here."
Hahaha!!! We could have easily ended up in a cell for that one! I think the only thing that saved us was your trustworthy face!     ROFL

Funny story Bruce, it’s hard to find a good part of town there. When the sun goes down it’s like the movie “I am Legend” I get it...I spend more time than I want in Memphis. It’s a shady place. I have a car there I bought when I started working from there. It’s parked in the company parking lot at the airport. It’s a 2002 Nissan Xterra. Its manual transmission and I searched for that for one reason other than later Nissan’s builds some of the worst automatic transmissions and that was theft. I read that only 18% of Americans can drive a manual and most are over 40 yrs old. That means at minimum about 4/5 criminals wanting to steal my car will walk past mine. Car theft is very high in Memphis. Memphis had 4,450 car thefts in a single year.
Cliff, Bruce has both a kill switch and a steering wheel lock bar. He had a bad cam so they wouldn’t have gotten far for too long....hehe!
Here’s my Memphis bomber. She’s been a good car. Has a persistent ABS and Airbag light that I’ve chosen to ignore. 6cdec79efc85cd7d9e27552fd8d2d2d1.jpg597da3d94d5996518df13c8eca9554e5.jpg

• Like 2