IGNORED

belt molding

Dave WM

Hi Amar,

That is a very blurry picture, but it appears to be fairly flat.  The rubber I got is somewhat L-shaped to press against the window.  I can't really tell, but the vintage rubber listing indicates it is intended for this application.

4 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

@Freez74 How about this piece? https://vintagerubber.com/door-window-grating-left-hand-side/ no image of where it goes on the car, but i cant think of any other spot for it.

From the description it does sound like the part. I'm surprised that these are sided?? Why wouldn't it work on either side? From the listed dimensions it sounds like it's a 5 in square!

@Freez74 I agree, $200 is steep. However I'm afraid it's the best I can find. The stuff @heyitsrama linked to looks very similar to Skillard's, if not identical. Take a look at the pictures Dave WM posted earlier in the thread where he compares the stripping he bought with OEM, then look at the links to the Skillard stripping as well as at the VintageRubber's. You'll notice the OEM/Dave's stripping have a very defined 'S' shape to them, whereas the VintageRubber(from what I can tell in the picture) and Skillard are more or less flat - they also seem to thinner in the rubber's physical girth, and wider top to bottom (top to bottom as in if we were to imagine their height while positioned on the door). The reason they're wider is mainly because they're flat, so they need extra height to make good contact and in turn a  proper seal with the glass.  Also,  the OEM/Dave's stripping have a felt sort of material on the side where the stripping meets the glass, allowing the window to move smoothly and not allow the rubber to 'catch' the glass and bend inwards while rolling the window down - neither Skillard or Vintage have this felt stuff. Catastrophically, the added width (in my opinion) looks totally unnatural when affixed to the door, and detracts from the overall aesthetic of the car. Again, that is only my opinion. I recommend you look at some pictures of the installed Skillard to form your own view. That being said, if you don't mind the way it looks, then by all means go ahead and buy it. It's entirely my taste here, and I don't want to make them sound absolute. At the end of the day, nobody except me and an enthusiast (so all of us) would think, let alone notice, that the Skillard looks strange, and it'll only look more natural the farther you are away from the car. The real point to consider is whether or not Skillard's stuff looks bad enough to justify $200.

4 hours ago, Patcon said:

How similar are the Datsun 510 pieces?

If I remember correctly from when I first started down this rabbit hole, the 510's chrome trim is very similar (maybe a bit shorter?). I could be wrong, but I think they're cross-sectional designs were the exact same. 

Can anyone provide a drawing/sketch of the section/profile of the original squeegee, perhaps with a couple key dimensions?

Bonus points for including a representation of the chrome strip profile too.

Edited by ensys

I don't know how comparable the 510 squeegee profile is to a Z, but this DIY alternative worked great on mine. I had ordered two outer door squeegees, installed one and somehow misplaced the other. For the 510 most of the quality rubber bits come out of Australia, and I didn't want to wait a month for this one piece. 

My local hardware store (Lowes) sells garage door seals in various profiles and materials. I found a rubber seal with a section of the profile identical to the squeegee. Measured the length needed, trimmed the unneeded section, and installed with the existing steel backing strip. I didn't have a staple gun strong enough to fasten both pieces together, but a very small rivet worked nicely. Once installed there was no physical difference in appearance or function from the "correct seal". 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-9-ft-x-2-in-Black-Rubber-Garage-Weatherstrip/1085381

image.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tweeds said:

@CW240Z72 The shape seems pretty good - would you mind uploading a picture of it installed? It doesn't appear to have any flocking on the inside, has it worked well without?  

I don't recall the original window scraper being any more than a rubber seal stapled to the door trim. I will look and see if I have photos of the correct one and this DIY fix side by side for comparison.