IGNORED

belt molding

Dave WM

17 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

this looks like it might work

https://www.steelerubber.com/side-window-weatherstrip-70-0064-57

I was hoping to just replace the rubber scrapper that is on the outside, searched only could find super expensive complete assy, not just the rubber part.

Agreed, that might work.  The OE squeegee strip has metal reinforced mounting in the body so you might want to reuse that portion to attach this product if you proceed.

I will see if they can send me a sample to check fit. Yes I was planning on using the metal from the existing part. I just seems like such a waste to have to buy the complete assembly. Too bad who ever it is that is making the repro kit will not sell just the rubber for those that are willing to do the work and have good un kinked OE metal frames.

at the very end he mentions why its so wide, lacks flocking on back side that would allow the window to roll down without sucking the rubber back on itself. Will give them a call in the morning, I did not see it on the website.

https://skillard.com/product/datsun-240z-260z-280z-door-window-rubber-wipe-kit/?doing_wp_cron=1586743688.7477850914001464843750

hmmm, if it came with a flocked back It may be worth a go, I may just have to pop for the expensive option. I hate the idea of spending soo much for what looks like a simple fix, but the more I search the more I realize it looks like the only option that will look "right" and work. I just don't like the idea of water leaking down inside the door any more than it has too. My current belt lines are fully intact but are fairly hard and don't seal along the length of the window.

1 hour ago, Freez74 said:

I bought these and installed them. 

https://zcarsource.com/door-upper-molding-rubber-seal-240z-260z-280z-70-78-new

You have to reuse the original metal backing strip, but it was not that hard.  They look exactly like original when done.

Perfect, thanks for pointing this out, will call them today!

I found some 1mm diameter galvanized steel wire at Ace Hardware, and used the original staple holes to pass the wire through.  Folded the ends over and crimped with pliers, as you suggested.  Some of the holes needed to be enlarged slightly with a tiny drill bit.  The worst part was getting the old staples out, they are very tight and made of some hard wire, no way to cut them with pliers and pull them out.  So I cut each staple in half with a small cutting disc on a Dremel-type tool, and wriggled them out.  Repeat many times.