IGNORED

Virus face shields, masks - ideas and designs

Zed Head

All signs are that a mask or face shield or piece of cloth in front of your mouth and nose has a significant effect on stopping the spread of the virus.  you can be contagious for a week or more before you realize it, spreading the virus in droplets from your breathing, apparently.

Please don't post conspiracy theories or comments about where the masks are going or therpaeutic cures or other things.  Just mask or face shield designs, and/or the government guidance on using them.  Maybe local guidance also.  The focus is on having a mask available and using it to stop the spread to other people.

zKars had a nice design for a very good mask over in the COVID-19 thread.  Here is a link to his first post.

• Like 1

Here is a link to a very recent story that goes in to great detail about how masks or face shields are effective.

Also, the link to the CDC page recommending them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/04/why-wear-a-mask-may-be-our-best-weapon-to-stop-coronavirus

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fprepare%2Fprevention.html

Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others

• You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
  • Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
    • Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
  • The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
  • Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.
  • Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
  • Like 1

Here is a super simple design that you can make up in a hurry.  It's a common wash cloth with two holes punched in it and a piece of string to hang it over your ears.  The loops tied in to the string in the back are used to make the final adjustment to get the desired tightness so it doesn't slip.  A rubber band would probably work too.  Or a piece of stiff wire.  Or some old ear pieces from a pair of glasses.  I only had string available.  It requires some projection of the nose, small noses might have a problem.  And smaller skulls will probably want to move the holes in the cloth inward.

It's actually pretty comfortable, enough for a trip through the supermarket or other places where people might be.  And it  fits in your pocket.

image.png

I forgot about the plain old T-shirt.  Already fitted to your head and neck.  Just use the collar and hang it on your nose.  Let the rest sit on your shoulders.  Plus, you can wear favorite team colors, stylin'.

And, of course, there's the niqab.

Edited by Zed Head

Mask up!  Effective today, Riverside County California made mask use mandatory for everyone outside their home - no exceptions.  Not sure how it will be enforced, but I'm sure a lot of people are cutting up towels, t-shirts, and pillow cases to make masks like those shown above.  I made mine last week with new, clean, shop rags and a hot glue gun.

Not enjoying the New Normal.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Sad 1

Thanks for starting this thread. 

One detail I’m trying to find clarification on, related to the issue of the mask as a preventative measure in the OUTWARD direction, ie if the user has Covid-19, is if they expire any raw covid 19 virus particles, or only larger droplets of whatever the body produces for fluids that CONTAIN the virus. This is critical, because in the latter case, darn near any old piece of cloth is likely to useful in capturing the fluids/droplets. If tiny virus particles only stuff is also there, then you need a finer material that will capture them. 

And of course none of this is an absolute all or nothing action. 50% reduction is transferring the virus is HUGE compared to nothing. At least get the mask to fit well enough so that the majority of your breath goes through the cloth and not around it. 

Get used to the new normal of wearing a mask while out. Put it in the oven in the evening at 170-200F to sterilize and dry it out to get set for the next wonderful “what will happen today?” world.

Now I just need to make a mask with a pair of BRE red/blue stripes and I’ll be safe and stylish.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

Just had to run an errand for Mom.

I panicked because I've not made a decent mask. I did however come up with something I'm pretty sure everyone has. I have a drawer full from reckless lifestyle. LOL

ACE bandages! I had a couple that were 6" wide, knee surgery.

Wrapped one from below my eyes down to cover my chin. Worked great!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zKars said:

Thanks for starting this thread. 

One detail I’m trying to find clarification on, related to the issue of the mask as a preventative measure in the OUTWARD direction, ie if the user has Covid-19, is if they expire any raw covid 19 virus particles, or only larger droplets of whatever the body produces for fluids that CONTAIN the virus. This is critical, because in the latter case, darn near any old piece of cloth is likely to useful in capturing the fluids/droplets. If tiny virus particles only stuff is also there, then you need a finer material that will capture them. 

And of course none of this is an absolute all or nothing action. 50% reduction is transferring the virus is HUGE compared to nothing. At least get the mask to fit well enough so that the majority of your breath goes through the cloth and not around it. 

Get used to the new normal of wearing a mask while out. Put it in the oven in the evening at 170-200F to sterilize and dry it out to get set for the next wonderful “what will happen today?” world.

Now I just need to make a mask with a pair of BRE red/blue stripes and I’ll be safe and stylish.

What about microwaving a mask, would that work? 2 minutes maybe? Thanks for any input. I don't have an oven.

I read an interesting (perhaps over simplified) article about the Covid-19 virus, don't remember where now. The outside of the virus has a coating of lipids (fat) that acts as a protective coating much like our skin. Once that lipid layer has been compromised the virus will soon die. That's why grease cutting soap, hot water (min. 140`f- 150`f is what I've heard) and min. 70% alcohol are recommended. Following that logic any good heat source (boiling water, oven) or grease cutting solvent (lacquer thinner, acetone, etc.) should do the job. Lacking an oven, I'd boil water and the mask in the microwave to ensure even heating.

• Thanks 1