IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Life is about issues Mike.  A life that only revolved around Z cars would not be very substantial.

Please remember this is a Z car website.  I do like the original intent of this post was to discuss the virus when it first came out.  Now everyone seems to be an expert and don't want to listen to anyone else.

We're all adults here.  We can handle it.

Good, then I trust everyone in this channel will respect each other.  

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

You need information in order to form that belief. Get your info from a source at the top of the curve, not down in the fake news weeds on the sides.

media bias 7.0.jpg

I wonder if there's an updated version of this chart.  This is from January and I know some of these agencies seem to have moved around a bit.

13 hours ago, conedodger said:

My wife likes to argue about politics. I think it’s a waste of time. Given my background, I could argue with people about COVID and drown them in proven facts. But I don’t. The reason is I doubt one single mind would be changed. 

After almost 2,000 entries on this topic, and while I haven't read them all, I don't recall seeing any stating anything like, "How could I have been so wrong.  Thanks (insert screen name here) for opening my eyes to the truth about COVID."  I doubt that many, if any, minds have been changed.  I have however seen temper flares, false sense of superiority, and a little bullying.

I'm in favor of ending this topic and maybe moving on to politics, religion, and global warming discussions if we really need diversions from the only reason everyone signed on to this forum - The Z.  

• Like 1

The thread's purpose is not to change opinions.  It was started to discuss COVID and help keep people informed.  Most of my posts contain links that describe the state of the situation and/or give advice about how to deal with it.

Other people have felt the need to post their opinions.  Even so, there's nothing really wrong with that.  Your comment reminds me, no offense intended, that people generally feel that they MUST look at all posts.  They have to click because it's there.  The reality is that they don't have to click and they don't have to read.  Even better, each thread has a button at the top that allows a user to Ignore it.

Anyone who feels offended or nervous about what's in the thread should just click the button.  There's no need for protective censorship.

The button is right up there at the top.  You can Ignore specific members also.

p.s. If Z cars is all that are allowed then the Boobs thread will need to be ended also.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Agree 2

For example, for people that follow sports, an informative post.  Here's a normal healthy family man who got COVID last year.  Said he was fully recovered but now he's taking time off from work as an ESPN analyst.  Just some real world looks at people you might recognize from TV, that might be like typical CZCC members.

Hopefully he does well with whatever is wrong with him. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/esp-ns-todd-mc-shay-taking-leave-of-absence-to-focus-on-health-182415309.html

https://www.yahoo.com/now/esp-ns-todd-mc-shay-describes-dark-place-during-covid-19-hospital-stay-161222259.html

You need information in order to form that belief. Get your info from a source at the top of the curve, not down in the fake news weeds on the sides.
960643224_mediabias7.0.jpg.d19da5a858c4bb46fe0acb24a634aa55.jpg

Here's the top tier:
95977671_mediabias7.0toptier.thumb.jpg.5ccc9e7f021a3053faac57a249e0fefd.jpg

You know, in the news outlets there are shades of truth like shades of grey!

I used to read the FT (at the top of the curve) daily but recently cancelled my subscription. Why? Because I saw the most intelligently well thought out, biased and disingenuous reporting of a case I was very close to. They blatantly twisted / misrepresented facts in isolation to build a story and to suit their narrative; and in the process assassinated the character of someone I know personally. Fortunately he was strung up into a public hearing and got the opportunity to set the record straight on TV.

The FT reporting made me realise just how so called respected media can also misrepresent facts to play out their own exciting / crowd pleasing stories as distinct from the boring truth that doesn’t sell papers / subs in quite the same way.

So where does that leave us? Well I think one should read many sources (as you say reliable ones) and use one’s own logic, intellect and common sense to decipher facts from sensationalism, politics, personal / corporate agendas etc.

Coming off soap box now - mic drop!
  • Like 2

I was just giving a recount of my experience, not saying I gave her a ration of crap about it. Cruel seems a bit over the top.
Since I'm on airliners every other week, it also threw me for a loop when a woman boarding an airplane said I was too close to her. I mentioned that we will be sitting within inches of each other for the next 3 hours, and she replied "yeah I know, but you're still to close". There's no reasoning with this type of attitude. Seeing societal evolution take many steps back is unsettling. Again, I was just giving recount, no slight against her, just odd.

This is interesting because after 18 months of not getting close to anyone I feel awkward when people start bumping into me at queues etc. Also some of the kids at my children’s school have developed anxieties about being among large crowds! Amazing how plastic the mind can be, but conversely, it can change back the same way. It is funny though how she couldn’t see the logic of sitting next to someone they are queuing with! :p

As for the changing of minds comment above, again there is a spectrum. People generally look for facts to reenforce their opinions and ignore those that challenge or contradict them. Then throw in some “alternative facts” (thank you Kellyanne for that phrase) on both sides of the extreme and people point only to those to say “See!? I told you!”

Then there is the utterly off the wall behaviours / beliefs that can’t but leave you wondering ....

c9a2dcd998668f7f6122125c92df0f08.jpg

The anti-vax movement haven’t helped themselves with some illogical arguments and equally nor have some officials like Fauci who flip flopped on masks at the outset. But then nothing is black and white and when you are exploring / discovering new something you have to change your thinking whichever side you sit on. I always enjoy a good debate as I like to see alternative views to mine but more often on social media people just start name calling and get more entrenched.

Sure we’re all here for Z cars but I’m glad this thread exists as it’s topical and it’s always nice to get to know the minds of the people we interact with and how they think outside of cars: ergo the Saturday night music or the meme threads etc. The boobs thread is definitely not my cup of tea, but it’s easy to ignore it as suggested above and choose not to take offence - now I am wondering when the “original hunks” or “original six packs” thread is being launched!? [emoji848]
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one of those human interest stories.  Local, I've been through all of the towns mentioned.  52 is not that old.  All from the same family, some made it, some didn't.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-vaccine-skeptic-changes-outlook/283-394587c2-2c23-4696-a60a-35c15e7405cd