IGNORED

New Oil Cam Spray Tube

Clay C

I certainly don't think that spindly little loosely mounted steel tube will have enough strength to affect how the head itself reacts. It's mounted on squishy cork gaskets and will just squirm on those if necessary. The head will expand more (get longer) proportionally than the bar, so if anything, the bar be in tension when hot with the end bolts pulling against eachother. I'm expecting there's enough slop in the mounting bolt holes such that they won't "run out of clearance" and cause any significant force. However, if the mounting bolts are a precision fit on the bolts when cold, it'll be in tension when hot. Not enough to rip it in half, but tension none-the-less.

Note to the manufacturer of that bar if they're reading this thread.... Make the end holes oversized some so that doesn't happen. Do some calculations and slot them if necessary.   :geek:

This looks like a one-off at this point, but I suspect it's a "toe in the water" test to see if there's more demand. The pics show this thing in a home hobby workshop on with home hobby machines. My read is this is a Z enthusiast who's original bar failed (like they all do) and he made two of them. One for his own car, and a second part to see if it would sell. If it sells for a good enough price, I bet he'll make more.

• Like 1

Also thanks to all of you for the information. This was my first post on this site and i appreciate everyone jumping in with the advice....Now does anyone know how to get teenage daughters to act right??

• Haha 1

There are a few things that you can check and do to reduce risk (edit - for the bar not the daughters).  You'll want to do a test-fit to see where you're starting.  It might even be possible to mount it "floating" so it's tension-free, with the right bolts and the right gasket. 

Edited by Zed Head

11 hours ago, Clay C said:

I am the buyer. Blue Loctite for the bolt loosening? I’ll get my other one fixed if the smart money is on that. 

Make sure the end mounting holes have some slop towards the outside when you mount it up cold. The head will expand more than the bar will and tend to pull the end bolts away from eachother. You want to make sure you have tolerance for that to happen without causing a problem. Blue Loctite would be good.

After you get it mounted, you should also make sure you have enough oil pressure for the streams to actually reach the lobes at idle with hot oil. If the oil reaches the lobes at idle, it should be fine at higher RPM when the pressure is higher.

And as far as getting your other one fixed... If it's the original stock style with the aluminum distribution boxes, forget about it.

15 hours ago, Clay C said:

Also thanks to all of you for the information. This was my first post on this site and i appreciate everyone jumping in with the advice....Now does anyone know how to get teenage daughters to act right??

I have two teenage daughters right now and they can be challenging! Do the best you can and don't damage the the long term relationship. Time will take care of the rest. About 19 or 20 they get their minds back...

My oldest daughter is great to be around now, not so much as a teenager

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patcon said:

I have two teenage daughters right now and they can be challenging! Do the best you can and don't damage the the long term relationship. Time will take care of the rest. About 19 or 20 they get their minds back...

My oldest daughter is great to be around now, not so much as a teenager

Thanks Patcon, I’ll keep my fingers crossed. 

• Like 1