IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

I will put this one on my 69’s. These stickers are only on US HSL, not on EU. These labels have no Japanese signs on it, pure English. So I truly believe they were added to the cars in North Amerca. 

On this one is no year, so you could make an assumtion this is the first one. It is on #672

3FA63E5C-B628-43A7-990A-6EA49A8E2637.jpeg

Edited by christoffel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, christoffel said:

These stickers are only on US HSL, not on EU. These labels have no Japanese signs on it, pure English. So I truly believe they were added to the cars in North Amerca. 

You think they were added in America because they have no Japanese writing on them? Rhetorical question: Does that belief hold true with other stickers/labels or tags on the cars?  

How about where the stickers were printed? You think Nissan would print the stickers in Japan and then send them to the USA to be affixed to cars already fitted with the air pumps? Why could they not just affix them to the appropriate cars in Japan? Or do you think the stickers were printed in the USA?

I'm not buying it. If the stickers were applied in the USA (where? port of entry?) I reckon we would see all sorts of anomalies in positioning and application, but as far as I am aware we don't. So I say more likely affixed - to appropriate cars - at Nissan Shatai in Hiratsuka.

7 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I think this is ~ HLS30-0003 and it has no sticker...

It also has other peculiarities that make its status as a content examplar slightly rocky. Will you be citing it as proof that early HLS30-prefixed cars didn't have radios or clocks? The Yuasa battery and splash pan might get you "not constructive" downvote on BaT should you bring them to the attention of the Experten level portfolio investors over there. "TEHO".

As I've pointed out before, the content of the early HLS30Us was clearly somewhat fluid so such a very early example - not sold to the general public and used by Nissan to make the relevant technical servicing publications - is not necessarily what we should use to judge whether what was coming down the actual production line some weeks or months later is 'correct' or not.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HS30-H said:

You think they were added in America because they have no Japanese writing on them? Rhetorical question: Does that belief hold true with other stickers/labels or tags on the cars?  

How about where the stickers were printed? You think Nissan would print the stickers in Japan and then send them to the USA to be affixed to cars already fitted with the air pumps? Why could they not just affix them to the appropriate cars in Japan? Or do you think the stickers were printed in the USA?

I'm not buying it. If the stickers were applied in the USA (where? port of entry?) I reckon we would see all sorts of anomalies in positioning and application, but as far as I am aware we don't. So I say more likely affixed - to appropriate cars - at Nissan Shatai in Hiratsuka.

It also has other peculiarities that make its status as a content examplar slightly rocky. Will you be citing it as proof that early HLS30-prefixed cars didn't have radios or clocks? The Yuasa battery and splash pan might get you "not constructive" downvote on BaT should you bring them to the attention of the Experten level portfolio investors over there. "TEHO".

As I've pointed out before, the content of the early HLS30Us was clearly somewhat fluid so such a very early example - not sold to the general public and used by Nissan to make the relevant technical servicing publications - is not necessarily what we should use to judge whether what was coming down the actual production line some weeks or months later is 'correct' or not.  

Hello Alan, It are pure assumptions from me. I thought that could be the case because it is a pure North American issue.   For the reasons you are telling I assume (again) that HLS30-00003 is not the right car to use as an example .

I took apart 6 cars between #23 and #305, and than you have a reasonable amount of cars to conclude what should be origina or not. It is really interesting to see how many changes there were in the first months. When there are 2 different parts on these cars, most of the time the leighter part is the earliest part. Being able to compare makes it more easy to decide what would have been orignal.  A rare part that is different are the knuckle arms, They have the 12 mm ball joint shaft. The left ones are mostly still there but some of the right ones were missing. And took some time to find them.

And about the the emission decal, I have one a very original HLS30-00672 with clear glass all around and it has a decall without date. So again an assumption of me that that could be the first type of decal.  Only could find it on #184 but couldn/t read it anymore

3FA63E5C-B628-43A7-990A-6EA49A8E2637.jpeg

Edited by christoffel
  • Like 1

I think it's important to remember that all of the Datsun models - Z, 510, 1200, 521 and Roadster - imported to the US during the period being discussed had information decals. I can assure you they were not added at the dealers. That would leave Port of Entry. Again, I can assure you that there were no facilities at the US ports that could have handled such an operation.