IGNORED

2 to 3 clicks when cold starting.

jalexquijano

It looks like your battery is not charging.  The 13.9V is a healthy charging voltage so this means your alternator is working correctly.

The 12.1 V after the battery has rested means it is weak.  It should be 12.6V to 12.8V.  Please repeat the test tomorrow morning and take a few measurements while "digging-in" the probe tips from the voltmeter to see if the voltage really is 12.1V on a rested battery.

Edited by 240260280

Could still be dirty/corroded terminals.  Or loose terminals.  Many people just push the terminals on to the battery posts by hand and leave them that way.  They have to be cleaned then clamped down tightly on the posts for the cleaning to last.  Otherwise they just get corroded again.

• 4 weeks later...

since we are all stuck with the Coronavirus i have spare time to remove the two bolts and pull out the complete starter and solenoid. Is it safe to pull it from the Hood or should i lift the car with the Jack and remove it from underneath the car? i want to inspect it and clean it throughly. Any recommedations on this?

You can lower it to the ground from under the hood then reach under the car and slide it out.  No need to raise the car.  On the other hand, it might be easier to reach the bolts with the car raised.

Make sure that you disconnect your negative cable at the battery first.  Don't want the positive cable hanging loose if the negative is still connected.

• Like 1

608e227f4b118997ba073eb0e7811073.jpg&key=547fdcd8a2a2b1e5f5a50298daef6303aa3e90126633e273b663f95fb61c2c08

d08de647f5cb224885c386d629e68394.jpg&key=17b6db4991bde4849d6cf72dca69adf4267c7246288552eb5526e49eb0e72217

Think about the diagrams above - small voltage drops at standing mean large differences in charge state. I had an Exide battery die on me in a year. Also I’ve found that when cranking, if the volts drop below 10 the battery is weak.

How old is your starter solenoid?

Good to clean up the solenoid anyway if you have time on your hands - they carry HUGE currents and can get spark related carbonisation - much like the light switch stalk.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...