IGNORED

240Z Hazard switch differences

zKars

Today there is a request for hazard switches in the classified forums which leads me to go to the stash and see what I have to help.

Pawing through the group, I see plenty of differences. Of course this brings up more questions.

We know about the change to the back lit, round pull knob style switch on the North American 240's in 73, and the shorter wires on the 72 switch (6 pin connector wires), but I was surprised by a couple of differences I didn't know about. The marking on the handles vary, and most surprisingly, as does the angle of the switch's bat style handle from one to the next in either position.

IMG_3815.JPG

All of these are the long lead variety, but there are at least three different marking styles. We likely discussed this before. I suspect the center is oldest, (one triangle), the right second oldest, and third, newest. All of the short lead switches I have share the markings of the switch on the left. All fancy and most clearly marked, must make things "better" don't we? 

But what surprised me the most was the difference in handle angles in the off and on positions, comparing across all three switches.

The first pic has them all in the "ON" position, the second "OFF"

IMG_3817.JPG

IMG_3818.JPG

Well the handles are simply bent you say from repeated use you'd likely say. I say NOT.

Look at the thickness of the metal of the handle. It is both thick and oriented so that its rectangular cross section has the most bend resistant width in line with direction of motion. NO WAY you could bend that metal without doing damage to the switch mechanism. All switches click nicely into both on and off positions. Nothing wonky or loose inside. 

Let the speculation begin!

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3

There is a special service tool for the chrome mounting nut.  See the two holes in the face?  The tool in the bottom left corner is a knurled tube with two pins on the end.  It fits over the handle and turns the chrome face nut.

ServiceTools147.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 3

Fascinating. Of course there would be a special tool for that. Beats using an awl or an open needle nose plier. Hate to have it slip and scratch the chrome.

Given the crazy angles of these handles it's difficult to imagine that tool fitting over them. Is the cylinder of the tool open on one side?

Any theories on the variable angle of the handles? I just want to believe they have been bent in use, but the construction makes it difficult to understand how. I've had several apart to clean the contacts but never paid any attention to the handle mechanism.

Edited by zKars

Hi zKars , great great article!! I didn’t know the difference. Thank you so much!!

18 hours ago, zKars said:

Given the crazy angles of these handles it's difficult to imagine that tool fitting over them. Is the cylinder of the tool open on one side?

This is what exactly I experienced in my blue 240Z , this car has a switch which I determine “ early one “by its  the twin-triangle mark . And it could not accept the tool to turn the chrome nut because of its angle. I didn’t know why , but you showed us there is the one which can’t accept the tool . I tend to think the early one is always acceptable for the tool , later one is always not acceptable for the tool , but this theory is not true . 

My blue 240Z has got the switch from another car when it became out of service , so it could be way out of date of the car’s manufacture date (03/70) . 

On the other hand , my orange 12/71 240Z has the tool acceptable type switch which has a small  triangle in a big triangle. 
This mark is later type I think .

FYI , I show a comparison of a small box and a big box type . Japanese S30 uses the small box type . Maybe for euro too ? 

I am learning every day !

Kats

C17DB075-00F8-4A8C-94F0-F4B5A8AE96CA.jpeg

C8C5BCCE-1C94-4639-900C-B239D05771AE.jpeg

80D8D49A-F97D-4912-BDBB-8AE3500B5211.jpeg

326D50BD-1843-4A80-8B9E-74C019934B72.jpeg

66F169F1-645C-4EAE-AE9C-E8557962F364.jpeg

D407E2E1-F8F2-4C57-B789-C133538333DF.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Thanks Chris, I made a video using the tool from you ! The tool works perfect to turn the chrome face nut . 

Gavin , I will give you this switch “ test mule “ if you need .

FYI , here is the picture from the very late mock up styling study model , you see the switch has a twin triangles mark .

Kats

3C0F4050-F59F-41E9-8465-92F6345FA4A6.jpeg

Edited by kats

On 12/8/2019 at 4:50 PM, zKars said:

NO WAY you could bend that metal without doing damage to the switch mechanism.

The first few times i used my early '71 240z I flattened the switch several times with my knees!  Then the brake lights stayed out..(US type switch with the 9 contacts!) the switch was broken inside..  Now i'm still driving the car almost 20 years with a frozen switch in off position, some glue keeps it together hahaha… and it's handle is flat with the dash.. i have to put my right knee somewhere haha ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hazard Switch Clarification;

70- 72 240z's in the USA had one of the following three hazard switches;

0. All wiring is identical with the exception of harness length ( "short harness" or "long harness").

1. Series ONE 240z; 70- 1.71 (The knob on the left that says "FLASH") with a short harness.

2. '71 240z 2.71- 9.71 ( The same knob as above  with a long harness).

3. '72 240z 10.71- 9.72 ( The knob with the 2 triangles and no writing and a long harness).

Dates are approximate.

That single triangle knob is an illusion, if I look closely I can see the indentation of another triangle which needs to be cleaned or painted.

All switches will interchange and function in 70- 72 240z's, the differences are mainly cosmetic.

Shameless plug; Hey Jim if you are selling, I am buying!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dhp123166 said:

0. All wiring is identical with the exception of harness length ( "short harness" or "long harness").

1. Series ONE 240z; 70- 1.71 (The knob on the left that says "FLASH") with a short harness.

3. '72 240z 10.71- 9.72 ( The knob with the 2 triangles and no writing and a long harness).

Dates are approximate.

That single triangle knob is an illusion, if I look closely I can see the indentation of another triangle which needs to be cleaned or painted.

All switches will interchange and function in 70- 72 240z's, the differences are mainly cosmetic.

I have to disagree with your post regarding the Series 1 version.  I am the original owner of my car and the switch with the twin triangles on the handle is original to the car.  You'll note that member @w3wilkes indicates his 12/70 car has the same version of the switch and handle.

3 hours ago, dhp123166 said:

Dates are approximate.

Dang fooled again! should have looked more closely at that single triangle. Thoughts of uber rare big money switches blinded me.

PM me, we will chat switch sales.

• Haha 1