IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

Sidebar on this rebuild.  So at the JY yesterday with all the dead Z and ZX cars, I asked about the cost for one of the transmissions.  The guy said $250 and I could pick any one I wanted.  Seems like a good deal.  The 280zx  that recently arrived at the yard a few miles from my house wanted $500 for one and it was sold to a transmission repair shop almost a week after the car arrived at the yard.  I wasn’t willing to pay $500
I don’t know the status of the 5 speed in my car because I just drove it around the block a few times, but I did recall accelerating that a serious whine was happening in 3rd gear I think, very high pitch squeal.  I never investigated it.  I’m not confident my mine is good and $250 for a ZX one seems reasonable.  Worst cast is I can sell one of them later.  I don’t want to have to hunt one down in a few months when I can do it now.  The engine is almost done anyway.  
Do you think this is a good deal?  How would you choose which one to grab? Lowest miles?  Year?  How do I know which year is best for street use?  I know there was a open and closed ration....not sure exactly what that means but word is closed is the one people recommend on the inter web,  How do I know before pulling it that it’s the right one.?   Are they hard to rebuild if required?

Two things. First, stay away from the Borg Warner stuff unless you can get all the parts. It used a different driveshaft and shifter assy and everything. It's not that simple of a swap.

Second, they changed the differential ratio when they went to "the close ratio" transmission design and I'm not sure how well it would pair with your original diff.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it now. From the looks of those cars, they'll still be there in a year. Get your car on the road and put some miles on your current trans and see what happens.

I have the wide B that came in my early '77 and like it a lot.  After you get it back in the car put Redline manual fluid in the tranny and Redline 90 for the differential.  It magically disappears those whining noises.  Like Captain Corona says, drive it and I think you'll be happy too.  That's a good transmission.  240260280's tech tips on the transmission is where I learned that stuff.  I bought my Redline off amazon.com since nobody stocks it around here.  You'll have some left over if you get enough for the amounts in the FSM.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/transmission.htm

The ZX had a couple of different ratios, early 79 is the same as late 280Z one, there is an odd one in the middle for a short time, and then the later 80-83 is what most folks like. I think they are paired with 3:90 diff's. I run a 3:70 from a Maxima, seems to work well for my driving.

I found mine at a local JY for $85 and gave an old 260 auto as a core. $250- $300 is about average for a used one. Hub caps are a bonus though. ?

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 12.00.22 PM.png

I run the 3.54 diff and the late model .745 transmission. Its a little tall, 80mph at 3k so if you have a lot of hills you may find yourself shifting into 4th now and then. Here it flatlandsville I generally get into 5th once I get over 65 (about2400 rpm) as long as I am not climbing. Its great for open highway 80mph. A 3.7 or 3.9 would let me use it more often around town but generally speaking with the torque of the engine being so good, it does not really matter much. I did not really notice the taller 1st gear, but again I have no hills to get stuck on in a start while inclined.

• Like 1