IGNORED

Timing chain guide

Dave WM

FSM no help on the guides, but did mention  the shoe of the tensioner should have 0mm distance (I know there is a plastic washer so I will assume the mean it just installed so that the shoe is all the way back until it just touches the plastic washer. It did mention sealant on the 4 corners of the TC cover both sides of the gaskets, but did NOT mention sealant around the water holes like the Datsun book. Prob over thinking all of this.

9 hours ago, Dave WM said:

there was talk about at one time Nissan used a gasket but was later deleted..

When the new parts arrive I plan to take some pics to compare the old to the new

I've been into two later model ZX motors in recent past and they did not have gaskets on the tensioner. I don't know about earlier years. As you mentioned, it could be something they dropped somewhere along the way.

So I took a good look at the tensioner and guides from my 83 motor... There were no markings that I could find on the tensioner, but I did find some markings on the guides. tight side side (left). Had a KR inside a circle. Did a little web searching and came up empty:
P1150934.JPG

P1150935.JPG

The slack side (left) has a marking from Tsubaki. They are an old Japanese chain company which makes perfect sense:
P1150936.JPG

P1150938.JPG

I cannot prove it, but I believe these parts are original from the factory.

Edited by Captain Obvious
speling

I test fitted the cover (just wanted to see how hard it is to align and fit under the head and over the pan. Got the feel for it. Think I will try installing the rad with the lower shroud off and the fan on to save some fiddling of installing the fan with the shroud in place. I was able to install the TC cover on my back with the car on its suspension. I just like to work out the ergonomics of it (esp when I am waiting on parts)… the cover seal looks perfect but since the OSK kit has a made in Japan (the felpro in the kit I bought for gaskets was a made in mexico) marking on the seal I will replace that as well. Is that a dry install or do I use a bit of sealant on the outside of the seal? Or should I oil the outside so it goes in easy? Will do that before installing the TC of course. On my spare engine I did that with the cover on, but I think I just installed it dry (lubed of the inner part of course before installing the damper).

Edited by Dave WM

was cleaning up the water outlet (the thing that goes to the heater hose) I noticed a small corrosion hole, it was under the hose so I doubt it would have caused a problem, but I cleaned up the whole thing and filled the hole with some JB weld.  I hope those parts get here soon my OCD is really kicking in.

Also noted there is a long trough that wraps round the TC cover area of the water inlet and outlet. It leads to the outside. Guessing its a weep hole of sorts to allow any water that manages to get past the gasket an exit other than inside the timing cover?

Edited by Dave WM

21 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

That would be the water inlet.  The heater hose goes to it.  The outlet is at the block, inside the cover.  

Roger. I made up a new gasket, seems they are not easy to get, at least not from the local autozone felpro. Hurry up mail man!

its all in just have to torque the guide nuts and the tensioner.

the OSK cam sprocket does NOT HAVE THE V GROOVE...

I ended up filing one I  right over the #1 hole, did not bother with putting them on the #2 or #3.

Geez...

I used some gasket sealant on the front seal. All out of the stuff I wanted to use on the gasket themselves (Permatex gray). So will make a run to the store for that.

will exercise care and use very sparingly, I don't like to use a lot of that stuff, just a little dab and then smear it on. Esp around that drainage trough around the water ways. would not want to block it  off.

Kinda PO about the missing V grooves on the cam sprocket, also the holes are more of them and smaller making it difficult to see anyway.

Edited by Dave WM