IGNORED

JCMS – Collector’s Corner Owen Bishop at JCCS®

Mike

image001.jpg

Japanese Classic Motorcycle Show by JCCS®

COLLECTOR’S CORNER

2019 will be the 15thanniversary of JCCS and the 9thyear for the Japanese Classic Motorcycle Show (JCMS).

The charming show within a show will have an extra attraction for the 2019 edition: We called it Collector’s Corner.

We’ll select a collector every year and invite him/her to have a display of his motorcycles in a dedicated area next to the motorcycle show.

Quail-2019-Japanese-Class-Winner-e156797

You may not recognize our first guest by MOTO 41, the logo of his restoration shop, but the name Owen Bishop is a household name in the world of classic motorcycles, especially Japanese. Should we need to mention his impeccable restorations, some of which he brought to our show for several years? His 1974 Kawasaki H1 was a show winner in this year’s prestigious Quail Motorcycle Show, and for those of you who didn’t see this motorcycle at the Quail or at the Hanford Show, well, you’ll have a chance to see it in Long Beach in a few days.

Owen-old-scrambler.jpg

Growing up in the UK in the late 60’s, I lived only 30 miles from the factories that made the iconic British motorcycle brands; BSA, Triumph and Norton.  With help from my Dad, I started cobbling together parts from those rapidly declining brands to build Frankenstein-like creations that I would ride in the fields until they broke or ran out of gas (but they usually broke first)! “, told me Owen in his British accent.

However, Japanese hardware caught the attention of the young lad: “My passion was the new wave of mid-seventies Japanese Superbikes like the Honda CB750, Kawasaki H1, H2 and Suzuki GT750. Like many of my 10-year-old friends, these iconic bikes, became the posters on our bedroom walls and the bikes we would stand and stare at in the local motorcycle dealership, until the salesman kicked us out.

Quail-2018-Japanese-Class-Winner-e156798

Today, my collection reflects the nostalgia that washes over many us. The unique sound and smell of a big capacity two stroke firing up, still takes me back to my youth and today I am lucky enough to enjoy riding the machines I lusted after so badly as a 10-year-old. My collection on display reflects a mix of bikes from the early to mid-seventies”.

Those who had a chance to see his restoration projects either as clients or spectators can appreciate the incredible work and attention to detail. A true artist.

Owen will bring to the 2019 Collectors’ Corner part of his collection; some are restored, some are in original condition and some are waiting to be restored, but all of them we’re sure have a story that Owen will be happy to share who those who stop by. Please, do.

We include with these lines some photos of the bikes he’ll have on display and we look forward to seeing them in Long Beach. Until then.

Hector Cademartori

Photo Captions:

Owen-1974-H1E-e1567980765236.jpg

The 1974 Kawasaki H1 E and 1968 Yamaha YAS1C have been restored to concourse condition and have traveled to numerous shows.  (including the JCCS in Long Beach)

Owen-1968-YAS1C-e1567980906335.jpg

Owen-1976-DT400C-e1567980799551.jpg

The Yamaha 1976 DT400 and my son’s Honda 1974 MR50 have received sympathetic make overs, allowing them to be ridden and enjoyed.

Owen-1975-MR50-e1567981083204.jpg

Owen-1977-GT750B-e1567981119113.jpgThe 1979 Yamaha GT80 and the monstrous 1977 Suzuki GT750B are original unrestored barn finds, displaying all the patina, dents, bumps and scrapes you would expect from 40+ year old bikes.

View the full article