IGNORED

Bent Aluminum Wheel

Usain_Boat

So I bought another wheel and it balanced well meaning there are two good wheels in the front. Even with this there is still a shake in the steering wheel. What are possible causes of this?

I have replaced all the bushings with polyurethane, replaced the shocked, and replaced the wheel bearings. I know I have torqued everything to spec though the bearings could be checked again.

The technique for tightening the wheel must be in symmetrical and low force steps:

1. Tighten all lug nuts with fingers with wheel off ground. As you go, rock wheel to ensure the lugnuts centre in the holes or their beveled edge centres the hole. This is what centres the wheel on the hub and is critical.

2. Use a ratchet to snug the lug nuts little by little in a cross pattern.

3. Lower the car and torque to spec.

Edited by 240260280

1 hour ago, Usain_Boat said:

So I bought another wheel and it balanced well meaning there are two good wheels in the front. Even with this there is still a shake in the steering wheel. What are possible causes of this?

I have replaced all the bushings with polyurethane, replaced the shocked, and replaced the wheel bearings. I know I have torqued everything to spec though the bearings could be checked again.

Keep in mind that balancing a wheel does not guarantee that it is not bent. You can balance a square block, but you can't make it run smoothly in contact with the road.  You should have any used wheels inspected or at least get the car up in the air and check the tire while rotating it.

Possible causes: bent rim, bad tire, bad tie rod end, steering rack problem. 

On 9/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, Zed Head said:

Aluminum usually cracks as it bends.  

You probably have the mounting surface machined to run true to the tire surface by a good machine shop.  Probably expensive to do though.

I've had several aluminum rims with quite severe and deep rim dents fixed (curb impacts) without them being cracked in the process. They use heat to soften then manage somehow to remove the dent. They can then machine and polish as required to return the rim looking perfect.

I'm sure that if you just take a hammer to a dent in an aluminum rim you will likely crack it. I've been SO tempted to just tap a LITTLE and see what happens...

Still make me wonder how such high force "instant" impacts make such a nice consistent and BIG dent without cracking it Right then and there. Maybe the aluminum alloys they use are more malleable than we assume.... I'm getting my ball peen.....

Why dont you try this:

Jack up the car on one side, so you can spin one of the front tires. First check top to bottom and side to side for bearing looseness. Then lay a block beside the tire so it touches the sidewall and slowly spin the tire. This will show you if the wheel spins true as it currently sits on the car. Report your findings...

2 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Aluminum wheels DO NOT generally crack when bent. If they did, all the wheel straightening places would be out of business. 

Businesses will do whatever you ask them to do.  I'll bet you have to sign a waiver when you get an aluminum wheel straightened.

And just because the crack isn't big and obvious doesn't mean it's not there.

Why did these wheels not just bend more instead of breaking?

https://www.google.com/search?q=broken+aluminum+wheels&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS862US862&sxsrf=ACYBGNQMDCvAg6Cu8S0cuZ4kPm4a15AjhA:1570667879205&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj94__nuZDlAhWVuZ4KHQaRAM4Q_AUIEygC&biw=1600&bih=757

3 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Businesses will do whatever you ask them to do.  I'll bet you have to sign a waiver when you get an aluminum wheel straightened.

And just because the crack isn't big and obvious doesn't mean it's not there.

Why did these wheels not just bend more instead of breaking?

https://www.google.com/search?q=broken+aluminum+wheels&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS862US862&sxsrf=ACYBGNQMDCvAg6Cu8S0cuZ4kPm4a15AjhA:1570667879205&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj94__nuZDlAhWVuZ4KHQaRAM4Q_AUIEygC&biw=1600&bih=757

I have had wheels straighten and don't know of any kind of paperwork being signed for liability reasons

• Like 1