IGNORED

First Engine Start After One Year Of Restoration

ea6driver

An alternate method to make the fuel pump run is to move the AFM flap (simulating air flow into the engine), this will fire the pump relay as well. You would need to disconnect the intake boot so you can use a screwdriver to push the flap in. The starter method is easier for a quick test to make sure the pump runs, but the AFM method is handy if you want to be under the hood and playing with the fuel rail, checking pressure, ect. and want to periodically fire the pump.

....Hmm, I just realized you have a 78...your AFM probably doesn't use a micro switch in it for the fuel pump. I believe all the 78s (at least some) use an oil pressure switch for the fuel pump relay. if so, discount this method.

Len

1 hour ago, superlen said:

....Hmm, I just realized you have a 78...your AFM probably doesn't use a micro switch in it for the fuel pump. I believe all the 78s (at least some) use an oil pressure switch for the fuel pump relay. if so, discount this method.

Len

78 has its own special way to run the pump.  Take the oil pressure switch/sensor plug off at the engine then turn the key on.  The pump should get power.  It's a flaw in the design but convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just thought I'd report back on how it all worked out.  As suggested, I removed the valve cover and poured fresh oil all over the cam shaft/rockers.  Replaced the cover and topped off the oil/installed new oil filter.  Next, I filled up the tank with 15 gallons of fresh ethanol-free gas.  Even with a full fuel tank the fuel level still wasn't high enough to allow fuel to flow to the electric fuel pump inlet.  So I removed the supply line from the fuel pump inlet and, using a cheap siphon pump, pumped the siphon bulb until fuel flowed to the inlet.  Reattached fuel inlet hose to pump.  Next I removed the fuel hose from the fuel manifold inlet pipe (just downstream from the fuel filter) and stuck the hose end into a plastic bottle, disconnected the spade connector mentioned above from the starter solenoid and turned the ignition key to start to run the fuel pump long enough to nearly fill the plastic bottle with fresh fuel.  Reconnected fuel hose to fuel manifold pipe. Reconnected starter solenoid spade connector.  Turned the ignition key to start and engine cranked for about 5-10 seconds before starting up.

What a great feeling.  Took her down from the jack stands today and drove her down the island for the first time in over a year!

Thanks again for all the good advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1