IGNORED

280Z fusible links

EuroDat

Back in 2014 I purchased a set of fusible links from my local Nissan dealer. They sourced the parts from Coutesy Nissan.

Wayne is buzy with an update of his electrical diagram and this was a point of discussion.

Im not sure if they changed the colors, but the set I received is: 

1x Black p/n: 24161-A0100 (YAZAKIFLWX-1.25)

1x Green p/n: 24161-28500 (YAZAKIFLWX-0.5)

2x Brown p/n: 24161-Y0100 (FTX-0.3)

In (brackets) are codes on the link insulation. The brown have a different number compared to the manual,. They are brown instead of the original red. That could explain the different part number.

Refering to the parts manual en Waynes color electrical diagram. According to the parts manual Pos 19 is the two (outside) links A and C with a value of 1.25

Pos 18, link B and D have two values, which doesn't make sense, 0.3 and 0.5. That corresponds with one brown 0.3 and the green 0.5.

Did nissan get this mixed up? Looks like I should have two blacks for A and C, one green for B and one brown for D. That doesn't match the three reds and a black on the diagram. Could be just color changes over the years.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Eurodat

Screenshot_20190310-124422.jpg

Screenshot_20190310-124332.jpg

20190310_122457.jpg

20190310_122532.jpg

20190310_122409.jpg

• Thanks 1

I think you may have been looking at the wrong page in the parts manual. (Note I am basing all of my response on the assumption that you are talking about the 5/77 car listed in your signature.)

The wiring diagram in the copy of the 77 FSM downloaded from XenonZCar shows 3 brown and 1 black for the fusible link blocks and 2 green for the fuel injection.

77 Fusible Links.jpg

The page from the parts manual online for the 77/78 that has the fusible link blocks agrees.

77-78 Fusible Link Part Numbers and Quantities from Parts Manual.jpg

I dug into the 280 fusible link stuff a little while ago and here's what I determined. First, what the FSM's say...

The 75 FSM shows two fusible links and says they are black and green.
The 76 FSM shows four fusible links and says they include three different sizes of links (black, brown, and green).
The 77 and 78 FSMs shows four fusible links and says they include two different sizes of links (black and brown).

Note that the above links are the ones bolted to the passenger fender in the little square boxes with the white plastic caps. There is another one (or two in the case of 78) fusible link that comes directly off the battery and is specific to the EFI system. That additional link (or two) is outside the scope of this discussion. I'm just talking the ones in the boxes on the inside fender wall.

Also, I'm not sure what's up with the "brown" color link. Seems hard to find brown ones, or at least it used to be. I'm not sure if the brown was replaced by red or what, but I've seen more red links than I have brown although brown seems to be making a comeback.

So about part numbers? When I last looked, the part numbers were as follows:

FUSIBLE LINK-1.25 - 24161-A0100 - This is the black one
FUSIBLE LINK-0.5 -  24161-28500 -  This is the green one
FUSIBLE LINK-0.3  - 24161-Y0100 - This is the brown (or red) one  (supersedes old number 24161-N4200)

EuroDat, for your 77, it seems you want one black and three brown (or red)

• Like 1

The 77 manual is where I found the differences, and the carpartsmanual website.

If you look in the 1977 pdf in the download section here you can find the description of the different colors on page 501 or section BE-6. They are different to the wiring diagram in the back on page 680.

Screenshot_20190312-210114.jpg

The parts list in carpartsmanual has two descriptions.

1st. (Pos 5& 6) http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/wiring/engine-room-(from-aug-76)

Screenshot_20190312-210755.jpgScreenshot_20190312-210829.jpg

2nd. (Pos 18 & 19)  http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/electric-unit-switch/section-1/280z 

Screenshot_20190312-212008.jpgScreenshot_20190312-212046.jpg

• Like 1

Some backup documentation for the above.

Pic from a 76 that has excellent condition original labels. Note the link colors:
76 blocks.jpg

Pic from my 77 with the links in the correct positions (regardless of the 77 FSM's misleading wiring diagram). I personally used a meter and verified these positions for 77 and 78:
correct positioning.JPG

I dug into the specs for the links and determined they (like most of the rest of the Z's electrical infrastructure) was made by Yazaki. Here's a link where you can find specs on much of the Yazaki wires, etc, including the link material:

http://connectors-catalog.sys.yzk.co.jp/yazaki-web/english/cables/pdf.html

And since it's easier to discuss without downloading pdf files...

Specs for the FLWX links. Would be cool if someone could translate into English for me:
45_FLWX.jpg

Specs for the FTX links:
46_FTX.jpg

Chas,

This pic, and the associated part numbers are the ones that apply to your 77:
Screenshot_20190312-210755.jpg

It says you need one black link (P/N 24161-A0100) and three "brown" links (P/N 24161-N4200 which has been superseded by 24161-Y0100):

Screenshot_20190312-210829.jpg

Just because the chart on page BE-6 lists the specs for three different colors, it doesn't mean that all three colors were actually used. They just copied that chart from the 1976 manual.

21 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Back in 2014 I purchased a set of fusible links from my local Nissan dealer. They sourced the parts from Coutesy Nissan.

Wayne is buzy with an update of his electrical diagram and this was a point of discussion.

Who is Wayne?  Don't know everyone's name.

The red versus brown controversy has been around for years, at least ten.  Even more confounding is the internet data out there that suggests that the smaller brown 0.3 mm^2 link is actually a thicker red link capable of more amps, 0.69 mm^2.  The advice is often used for people switching to Maxi-fuses.

Nissan stuck with brown through many years of FSM.  Somebody decided it was a thicker red link years ago and that advice has been used and abused since then.

Notice that there is no Brown in the web-link below, and Red appears from nowhere.  There's no Red in any of the FSM's.  Either Nissan chose the wrong color and the wrong cross section, and never fixed it for many years, or somebody made a mistake and never corrected it.

I've been bringing this up ever since I joined the club.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

Edited by Zed Head

25 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Some backup documentation for the above.

Pic from a 76 that has excellent condition original labels. Note the link colors:
76 blocks.jpg

Pic from my 77 with the links in the correct positions (regardless of the 77 FSM's misleading wiring diagram). I personally used a meter and verified these positions for 77 and 78:
correct positioning.JPG

I thought the wiring diagram at the back of the 77 pdf was incorrect. It shows the black link in the rear fusible link houder. It makes sense that the black link (1.25) would be in the front holder for the fuse block.

Ps. Captain, Those link holders look new. Very nice.

It's appears to be confussing for Courtesy Nissan as well. I quoted my build date and VIN number, and they sent the set in the photos.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveJ said:

The wiring diagram in the copy of the 77 FSM downloaded from XenonZCar shows 3 brown and 1 black for the fusible link blocks and 2 green for the fuel injection.

77 Fusible Links.jpg

@SteveJ - just to be clear - it appears as though someone may have mixed up files for that site. This snip appears to be for a 1978 model, when Nissan relocated the EFI Relay from inside the cabin (75-77) to the engine compartment (78-beyond to ??)

I have uploaded the scan of the diagram from the back of my 1977 FSM that I used to create the colored version. It is now in the download section.

78snip.JPG

Edited by wal280z
edit in bold
  • Like 1