IGNORED

How to tell which head I have?

Locke

Hello, I apologize if this has been asked before but I have searched the forums to no avail.

I’m in the process of rebuilding the engine on my Series One 240z that was manufactured in 8/70 (not sure if it is a 70 or 71 model year). My local machine shop has told me that the head is rotted out and I will need to get a new one. I would like to replace it with the original head, however I am not sure if I need an E31 or E88, as some sites say that all 70-71 model years came with E31 while others say only the 70 model years had it (and again, I might have a 71 model). Are there any sure ways to tell which head I have? I’ve seen Zhome’s page about telling an E31/early E88 apart from a late E88 but I would like to tell apart the E31 from early E88. Did all series one cars have the E31?

I can provide more info if needed. Thanks

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Should be letters and numbers cast in to the head up by the 1 and 2 plug holes.

Thanks Zed Head, I'll check that out.

44 minutes ago, Patcon said:

What do they mean by rotted out? Some of these heads can be salvaged but many people just don't want to try

I'm not entirely sure what they mean, but I am meeting today to discuss in more detail so I will update this thread. In the mean time, I'll attach a picture of what the cam and valves look like. Definitely significant corrosion, but I would love to salvage it if possible (trying to keep it as original as I can).

240z_rotted_cam.jpg

46 minutes ago, Patcon said:

What do they mean by rotted out? Some of these heads can be salvaged but many people just don't want to try

Severe erosion/corrosion of the coolant passages comes to mind.

Yes some can be salvaged, but the costs of cleaning and properly welding them up is probably currently prohibitive vs. just sourcing a good head. Maybe costs have caught up and refurbishment is truly an option now?

2 hours ago, Zup said:

Severe erosion/corrosion of the coolant passages comes to mind.

Yes some can be salvaged, but the costs of cleaning and properly welding them up is probably currently prohibitive vs. just sourcing a good head. Maybe costs have caught up and refurbishment is truly an option now?

It may not have caught up but then again it may have. If he ends up looking for a fairly rare head, you can do a lot of welding for that. I have started seeing heads in the $600 range. I can get a lot of holes repaired for that kind of money. If it is just some erosion at the head surfaces that may be doable. If it's significant erosion inside the head, that is totally different.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Patcon said:

If it is just some erosion at the head surfaces that may be doable. If it's significant erosion inside the head, that is totally different.

I think we both agree that SOME heads can be salvaged. As you said----if it's inside----- I don't think there is a fix for that.

4 hours ago, Locke said:

Hello, I apologize if this has been asked before but I have searched the forums to no avail.

I’m in the process of rebuilding the engine on my Series One 240z that was manufactured in 8/70 (not sure if it is a 70 or 71 model year). My local machine shop has told me that the head is rotted out and I will need to get a new one. I would like to replace it with the original head, however I am not sure if I need an E31 or E88, as some sites say that all 70-71 model years came with E31 while others say only the 70 model years had it (and again, I might have a 71 model). Are there any sure ways to tell which head I have? I’ve seen Zhome’s page about telling an E31/early E88 apart from a late E88 but I would like to tell apart the E31 from early E88. Did all series one cars have the E31?

I can provide more info if needed. Thanks

Hi Locke , I checked some parts catalog, what I found is E88 started from September 1971. This was when S30 series had got a new center console, new hub caps , etc . I haven’t seen cars around mid 1971 in person, so I can’t say the catalog is correct until I see some examples. As a side note , E31 and E88 were meant to be “ low octan / regular gasoline “ . E30 was meant to be “ high octane/ premium gasoline “ , and this was never used for Datsun 240Z and Fairlady 240Z series . 

Kats

1D9BEE2E-DEC6-4FA5-9044-056BD01B510E.jpeg

DEDF178D-2B46-4088-821B-7B54474DB7A5.jpeg

E9EC0D66-CC3B-49B8-A14A-7C9C713BE99A.jpeg

8A4A734F-E536-4D13-8C52-30565231469A.jpeg

• Like 1