IGNORED

Which engine for a 77’ 280z

Av8ferg

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

Did you guys see this new 280z video.

Car videos always have something funny in them.  I like where he says "dialed in properly, rides well" as they bounce off the bump stops.  2:40.

And apparently no seat belt laws in Florida.  The cops didn't say a word.

This is a little worrisome.

image.png

On 2/15/2019 at 9:33 PM, Av8ferg said:

Well, I told her this is better than gambling, drinking to excess and all sorts of unhealthy things men do. ;). I need an outlet and turning wrenches is one way. I’ll get a text when I am work in two weeks, it will be pic of the engine in the garage and she’ll say..”what is this”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done that with whole cars. It's always fun to see how long it takes for her to notice the additional car at the shop LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So I’m spending the weekend cleaning my single car garage (we never park cars in there too much other crap, like 7 bicycles, a Golf Cart, Beer Fridge, power tool and a work bench). I’m clearing out a corner and once the engine arrives I’ll throw a blanket over it, on the engine stand I just bought. It will take about 4-5 days before I get a pic texted to me saying “what is this?”.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I was dead set on the Turbo until you all steered me away. No offense to the pro turbo guys but I just don’t want all the tech work nor constantly fidgeting with it. If I can somehow get about 200-220 HP of of this engine I’ll be happy. Even if I can’t just a clean reliable engine will suffice.

Have you guys seen this guys vids on the L28 rebuild. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Have you guys seen this guys vids on the L28 rebuild. What are your thoughts?

Do an external ocular assessment before beginning the teardown.   Did anyone mention the other book, How to Modify...

https://www.amazon.com/Modify-Your-Nissan-Datsun-Engine/dp/1931128049/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=how+to+modify+your+datsun&qid=1550431588&s=automotive&sr=1-1-catcorr

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

But I think that he's just guessing on some of it, like we all do.  He said he didn't want to mess with the balance but then he still did some grinding.  But he didn't see what might actually be a balancing divot right above his grinding area.

image.png

I think so.  It has many tips for increasing power but maintaining durability.  How to unshroud valves, match ports, get the rotating parts balanced for higher revs, choose lash pads and confirm wipe patterns.  The kind of things you'll need to do to get 200-220 HP, I think.  Probably help you pick the right machinist also for any work done.  

The authors of those two books shared a lot of information so there's some overlap.  The two books are a good set.

• Like 1

I found the "modify" book to have the same stuff on the forum and internet. It's only $20 though but I've hardly used mine. It's a little too much for my taste, stock build with a little tweaking. You can find that on the www. The charts with lengths and weights are out there on the inter web. I could mail you mine but that would be about the same price as amazon.com.

I bought all 3 when I was head over heels on these cars. Restoring, rebuilding and modifying. Tom monroe's has greasy pages. The other two are like new. My $.02 but like I said it's only $20. More to read on layovers. ?