IGNORED

S30 Half-shaft Disassembly and Rebuild

wheee!

That is a great trick! I didn't think of that. I saw many videos on pulling the boot over the entire knuckle with a cone, but didn't want to damage the "unobtanium" boots that were in pristine shape. By turning them inside out, it also lets you clean out all the old grease easily. I will try and get a pic of the cut off portion of the funnel I used. Worked super well.

• Like 1

I mentioned that the boot clamps had not arrived yet in the original post... but having said that, I found the original style of boot clamps and the proper tool for installing them on eBay for about $25. I will post pics of the boot clamp install when they arrive.

20 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Are the boots unavailable?

No, they are available. But to Canadians, they are almost unobtainable for a reasonable cost. Some suppliers list them, even at a reasonable cost (under $20 each US) but then they want up to $90 US to ship them!!! Canadian suppliers claim no stock and no one can seem to order them. Part number EMPI 86-1164-D is the replacement part. If anyone can order them down south and ship them up... I'm in for a couple! 

Various Z car suppliers have them too, but with small orders like this, it is prohibitively expensive to ship. Most want to use Fed Ex or UPS instead of USPS. When those packages hit the border, they get hit with brokerage and duty and taxes. Duty and taxes I have no issue with, it's the brokerage and document fees that are stupid. I had a $20 item ship to me from the states via UPS and arrive with $64 in fees attached...

Edited by wheee!

3 minutes ago, wheee! said:

No, they are available. But to Canadians, they are almost unobtainable for a reasonable cost. Some suppliers list them, even at a reasonable cost (under $20 each US) but then they want up to $90 US to ship them!!! Canadian suppliers claim no stock and no one can seem to order them. Part number EMPI 86-1164-D is the replacement part. If anyone can order them down south and ship them up... I'm in for a couple! 

My condolences.

PM me and we can see if I can help

• Like 2