IGNORED

240z - fabbing new front rails

ConVerTT

Go for MIG welding, it's the best welding technique for welding autobody panels. This also means taking your time focusing on the steps that lead up to the weld itself. Sizing your patch is an essential skill. It may add some time in the beginning, but it will save you hours of cleanup and patching later. Remove ½ to ¾ of an inch of good, clean metal around the area you intend to patch. Keep corners rounded to prevent heat buildup which will cause distortion. Check your metal gauge. When it comes time to cut, precision is key (This is where that pneumatic saw is useful!). A flush weld is going to look and hold better than a lap weld. Measure twice, cut once!

Some useful links:

http://weldingrage.com/

Wow, I'm really impressed by you enthusiasts that go the extra mile(and then some) to bring life back to these rust buckets. I thought I did a bottom up restoration on my Z but you guys take it to a whole new level. Hats Off to You! Pooky

• 2 years later...

Glad to see you're back at it, @ConVerTT.  I've really enjoyed following your progress on this resto.  Looks like it's going to be a no-expense-spared build, with Apex F & R suspension.  Good luck with the remaining work!  👍👍

Edited by jhm

So this project is leaning in the restomod direction now.  I sold the l28, kept my rb25det, and bought a "spare" rb25de that just happened to show up here locally....still deciding on naturally aspirated or turbocharged....

Here is the new scope...blue mean "acquired', red means "pending/TBD"....

The current plan is to make sure everything fits before sending her to paint (hopefully some time this summer)...

BEC66ECD-3DA1-44BE-A63C-177A328E7805.jpeg

• Wow 1

5 minutes ago, heyitsrama said:

are you planning to add electronic power assisted steering? You can always add it later, but have to leave some space for the computer/powersupply for it under the dash.

Did you already get the "Apex Engineering" rear end?

Great idea.  I ordered all the APEX gear on Black Friday and just got a tracking number yesterday...so soon soon 😀

Edited by ConVerTT
Typo
  • Like 1