IGNORED

Title Issues!

moozieman

Hi everyone! I have a few problems, but I'm going to do my best to keep this short and simple. I've spent a few years looking for a 240z project car in the $500-$2000 range. I recently found a 1972 Datsun 240z that I was very excited about and 100% intended to purchase. Believe it or not, I found it sitting in a front yard in the middle of nowhere, Kentucky. I approached a gentleman standing in the yard and asked him what he knew about the car. He told me that he intended to fix up the car with his grandson, but still might be willing to sell it. The man gave me an amazing price which was exactly what I was looking for. I've struggled to keep in touch with him because I live out of state and he seems to be quite "off the grid." I had planned to make a drive back down to Kentucky with a trailer to pick up the car. But, just recently, I received a call from the gentleman and he said that he had misplaced the title. This is normally an easy fix, but this guy is not the original owner, so the title that he had was still in the name of the previous owner. The man got this car 20 years ago, so I don't imagine that he'd be able to find the title. (Plus he may not even want to go through the trouble of helping me.) Now, i'm not sure what to do. I would hate to pass up such a good offer. Any ideas?

I'd check the vin to make sure there is no "funny business" to start with. Like stolen, etc. You don't know this guy so can you trust he is being honest with you? Not trying to be negative here but......

Was it ever registered to the new "owner"?

Its not a good offer if it doesn't feel right.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moozieman said:

the gentleman and he said that he had misplaced the title. This is normally an easy fix, but this guy is not the original owner, so the title that he had was still in the name of the previous owner.

The man got this car 20 years ago, so I don't imagine that he'd be able to find the title. 

Any ideas?

Check the laws in your state and Kentucky.  A call to each DMV should answer your questions.  A bill of sale and a release of interest is a very common way to sell a car.  Without either though, you'll probably have problems.

So this is called a jumped or floated title. Each state may deal with the problem differently but your best bet is to go to the DMV and tell them the situation.
I learned this the hard way as I have a 280z with a jumped title too. I live in NC and it requires me to have the vehicle inspected by a law enforcement officer who verifies the VIN placard and title. Then I have to pay $150 to place an indemnity bond on the car. I get a temp title for 3 yrs until the bond expires and I get an official title. It’s a pain but should be doable but you must talk to a DMV rep first.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is all pretty crazy stuff compared to here.... a hand written bill of sale is all you need on a car to register and insure it in Alberta. A quick registration search shows the last registered owner (if it's from Alberta) and as long as there is no other current registration in effect, possession is 9/10th of the law! It's yours!  If it is an out of province vehicle, it needs a safety inspection and a VIN search, but effectively the same rules apply. Insurance is easy, a VIN and the owner information over the phone gets you coverage in minutes.

image.png

Edited by wheee!

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

I'm surprised it's that easy. A Bill of Sale as proof of ownership? Oregon DMV wants a lot more paperwork than just a Bill of Sale.

It's still the wild west out here. I can buy a car from anywhere in the world with no paperwork and register it no problem - as long as it passes a safety and meets Canadian regulations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wheee! said:

A quick registration search shows the last registered owner (if it's from Alberta)

I think that this is the key here.  You can't do this in the States.  Each state, of the 50, plus the various territories, has their own method of keeping records.

34 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I think that this is the key here.  You can't do this in the States.  Each state, of the 50, plus the various territories, has their own method of keeping records.

So do the provinces, yet the entire country is linked in the federal database. A previous Alberta registry just makes it simpler. If it is from another province, some provinces charge an import tax, plus require rigorous inspection (scam to suck money out of newcomers as NO vehicle ever passes first inspection) before it can be registered.

2 minutes ago, wheee! said:

So do the provinces, yet the entire country is linked in the federal database. A previous Alberta registry just makes it simpler. If it is from another province, some provinces charge an import tax, plus require rigorous inspection (scam to suck money out of newcomers as NO vehicle ever passes first inspection) before it can be registered.

I just found something that I didn't realize existed.  But I doubt that it's complete or current, let alone back-filled with older car information.  It depends on the states to supply the information.  So, we're back to the individual states.  We have states down here that often threaten to secede.

Try some VIN's and see what comes up.

https://www.vehiclehistory.gov/index.html

"Who operates and manages NMVTIS?
The U.S. Department of Justice is responsible for oversight of the implementation and operation of NMVTIS, and works in partnership with the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA)."

Looks like the Act that created it was passed in 1992.

image.png