IGNORED

Rusty Fairlady for $28k?

calvinhg

I would be very surprised if it went for closer to $20,000 USD. Not that I don’t believe it’s worth what someone is willing to pay, as much as I personally could not imagine paying that much for a blank canvas.
In any case, I hope it gets purchased and restored.

16 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

So you think a fully restored car that just had 50k USD spent on it is only worth 25k USD? Point me at 'em. I'll take three.

Sorry, I don't have three.  But I do have one (not a Z) parked in my garage.  It was a very good buy at less than 50¢ for every dollar the previous owner spent as evidenced by the folder of receipts that accompanied the car at time of sale.  It happens.  ?

Dennis

56 minutes ago, psdenno said:

Sorry, I don't have three.  But I do have one (not a Z) parked in my garage.  It was a very good buy at less than 50¢ for every dollar the previous owner spent as evidenced by the folder of receipts that accompanied the car at time of sale.  It happens.  ?

Key point in bold above. We are talking about a 1970 S30 Fairlady Z-L here, not anything else. And if the car in question was to have your quoted 50k USD spent in bringing it back to very presentable condition then I think your 'valuation' of 25k USD would be, er, unenlightened to say the least. 

And I don't think it would even require 50k USD to make a nice car out of it anyway. Everybody knows we can get into negative equity with these cars (I'm no different), but that's for a future restoring owner to worry about, isn't it? Early S30 and S30-S Fairlady Zs are changing hands for more than their contemporary build date HLS30Us (they pretty much always have done...) so for anybody who actually desires one - that will be people who have legs that can hold them up whilst they lean against the wall at the ATM and the indoor counter of their preferred fast food supplier - the market price is what they will usually have to pay. My observation is that the market price is still rising.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiyabrad said:

Vin is: S3002241

Unless I miss something, that's a pretty low number car. The RHD thing would be an issue for me, but it could be a very nice car for the right buyer. Would be interesting to know what it sells for. BaT might be a good option for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 4:13 AM, HS30-H said:

I'd say that this is probably a better car - structurally for sure - than the Fairlady Z-L which was bid up 20k USD on Bring A Trailer a couple of weeks ago. If local people don't want them/don't know what they are looking at, then they'll probably end up being sold for export.

I saw that Bring a Trailer car in San Francisco a few times when I visited and I told Yan I'd value it at $20,000 AUD a few years ago even though I could see rust poking out of it in the sills, rockers and doors.

RHD cars are just far fewer in numbers and home market cars are just that bit rarer again.

For the car in question in this thread it also has a few rare parts fitted and is a rare colour for the home market. Not to mention an early build.

To me it's worth it all day long. But I often see value in things differently to others.

1 hour ago, lonetreesteve said:

The car ended up selling on eBay for $37,750.00 on Christmas day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Datsun-Z-Series-Fairlady-240Z/163439575664?

On the same page is 8445.  Shouldn't it be a Fairlady, with right hand wheel, since it was bought in Okinawa?  Or did they sell them configured for export?  Just asking, don't know...  Buy it now $25,200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Datsun-Z-Series-/264108787269?oid=163439575664

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Datsun-Z-Series/264108787269?hash=item3d7e1c4645:g:U~MAAOSwVMJcJ5ix:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Edited by Zed Head