IGNORED

Rusty Fairlady for $28k?

calvinhg

11 hours ago, lordkarma88 said:

Is there really anyone out there that will pay $28k for a rust bucket like this?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/6775162227.html

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "rust bucket". I've seen a lot, lot, LOT worse and it is still eminently restoreable. It has rust in the floors for sure, but it still looks structurally sound and relatively good in some areas. I'm currently rebuilding something that started out far worse. Certainly wouldn't frighten off anyone who is used to serious repair. That tow bar and fender mirror/door mirror combo will elicit some throwaway lines from the peanut gallery, but this car looks like it could be a bit of a diamond-in-the rough to me. 

The asking price may well be a little high (probably a good strategy for the vendor), but what do you value it at? I would be willing to bet that it sells for more than your valuation. Let's hear it.

Here's a current market reference point for you:  https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g317504338?fbclid=IwAR2i0nT_GnctmANNPj4kbi65FzHPxYZzAPCdMjw150LGMIV1426zIwZxjtg

• Like 1

How much I value it at? Woa, things just got personal.
But I honestly have no idea... If it were a series 1 in that condition, I'd say maybe $10k? But it's a fairlady, so an extra $5k? As you can see, I don't have a clue... But $28k still seems a lot to me
And you're right, it's not a rust bucket. Perhaps "oxidation kettle" would be more fitting?

Sent from my OP 3T using Classic Zcar Club mobile

1 hour ago, lordkarma88 said:

Yup, that's how value often works.  A buyer would have the choice of driving it like it is or making it a rather involved project car.  As a project car, taking on a righthand drive Z in the US would add to the fun/drama.  Much would depend on the restoration skills of the buyer, how much work would have to be "farmed" out, the depth of the budget, or all three.  It's easy to look at the pictures of the car and realize that if you you were willing to pour $50,000 into it's restoration, you could end up with a very nice $25,000 Z.

So, the value?  For me maybe $5,000 as a daily driver novelty (unusable at drive-up bank ATMs or fast food pick-up windows) if it really is structurally solid and mechanically sound with just paint patina.

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lordkarma88 said:

If it were a series 1 in that condition, I'd say maybe $10k? But it's a fairlady, so an extra $5k? As you can see, I don't have a clue... But $28k still seems a lot to me emoji16.png

I think it got 'personal' when you started the thread with your "rust bucket" comment. I didn't think you'd be scared of differing opinions though?  

You say "if it were a series 1...". You think it doesn't qualify for that soubriquet? Why can't it be a "Series 1" and a Fairlady Z? Do the two things have to be mutually exclusive?

I'd say that this is probably a better car - structurally for sure - than the Fairlady Z-L which was bid up 20k USD on Bring A Trailer a couple of weeks ago. If local people don't want them/don't know what they are looking at, then they'll probably end up being sold for export.

• Like 2

Interesting car. Not in terrible shape and the hood can be easily replaced. The tow bar is a throw away and the patina can be left or fixed as desired. I would say as a rare right hand drive car, it holds a certain appeal for many. Not my cup of tea, but I would say it sells for close to $12,500. The completeness of the car is a big selling feature.

• Like 1

I think it got 'personal' when you started the thread with your "rust bucket" comment. I didn't think you'd be scared of differing opinions though?  

You say "if it were a series 1...". You think it doesn't qualify for that soubriquet? Why can't it be a "Series 1" and a Fairlady Z? Do the two things have to be mutually exclusive?

All good, you're right I shouldn't have called it a rust bucket. And I didn't mean to say it couldn't be a series 1 fairlady, sorry for the misunderstanding.

So how much would you value it at?

Sent from my OP 3T using Classic Zcar Club mobile

23 minutes ago, psdenno said:

It's easy to look at the pictures of the car and realize that if you you were willing to pour $50,000 into it's restoration, you could end up with a very nice $25,000 Z.

So you think a fully restored car that just had 50k USD spent on it is only worth 25k USD? Point me at 'em. I'll take three.

30 minutes ago, psdenno said:

(unusable at drive-up bank ATMs or fast food pick-up windows)

Ha Ha! Deal breaker!

Personally I leave that kind of stuff to my butler.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, lordkarma88 said:

So how much would you value it at?

I reckon there's a good possibility of a sale as-is in the range of 18k to 20k USD or more if recent interest is anything to go on.

It needs a lot of work and some rare parts for a 100% factory-correct restoration, but there's no imperative for such a car to be bone stock and it's a great candidate for a Japanese home market style period-modified project. I believe there are a fair few people looking for such a blank canvas these days. If it were priced around 15k USD or so it would almost be a no-brainer purchase for export.

The 5k USD comment further up-thread is just trolling.

• Like 2