IGNORED

Another Clutch Pedal Question

z3beemer

First let me thank you all for your replies to my dilemma.  I'm new here and I really appreciate everyone's input and eagerness to help out.  I think I found a home for my Z project.  I'm still now exactly sure what works and what doesn't on my 73 Z.  So let me pose a few questions.  Diseazd informed us that the vin # on the parts Wal280Z  and I were discussing were from a 72 Z and not a 73.  I don't know much about how Datsun did their vin numbers but mine is 152810 and was manufactured Mar 1973.  Wayne's vin #  is 163037.  I would think with it being 10,000 digits higher it would be a 73 as well (yes/no?). Second, the "L" bracket... in looking in the Datsun factory manual, it does not show the bracket.  It just shows the clevis on the master cylinder attaching directly to the pedal.  Maybe it is just showing a "typical" illustration and not an actual one. If all it takes is adding the L bracket to the pedal I can easily weld one onto the clutch pedal.  Third: I was wondering if anyone who has a 73 would be able to provide a picture of the actual 73 clutch pedal and a picture of the brake and clutch master cylinders as viewed from the engine compartment.

Thanks again for all your help, hopefully I'll be able to return the favor.

Paul (z3beemer)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, z3beemer said:

First let me thank you all for your replies to my dilemma.  I'm new here and I really appreciate everyone's input and eagerness to help out.  I think I found a home for my Z project.  I'm still now exactly sure what works and what doesn't on my 73 Z.  So let me pose a few questions.  Diseazd informed us that the vin # on the parts Wal280Z  and I were discussing were from a 72 Z and not a 73.  I don't know much about how Datsun did their vin numbers but mine is 152810 and was manufactured Mar 1973.  Wayne's vin #  is 163037.  I would think with it being 10,000 digits higher it would be a 73 as well (yes/no?). Second, the "L" bracket... in looking in the Datsun factory manual, it does not show the bracket.  It just shows the clevis on the master cylinder attaching directly to the pedal.  Maybe it is just showing a "typical" illustration and not an actual one. If all it takes is adding the L bracket to the pedal I can easily weld one onto the clutch pedal.  Third: I was wondering if anyone who has a 73 would be able to provide a picture of the actual 73 clutch pedal and a picture of the brake and clutch master cylinders as viewed from the engine compartment.

Thanks again for all your help, hopefully I'll be able to return the favor.

Paul (z3beemer)

I believe Diseazd missed the "x'd" out last number of the vin. Yes I would expect they are both 73's

@Zup

Do you have the ability to make some pictures of that museum car of yours?

• Like 1

Found another though that shows his 1970 has the "L".  I might be looking at the wrong part.  Post #16.  Either way, it looks simple enough to add or remove.  There is a lot of slop from there to the master cylinder.  It's not a precision piece.

7 hours ago, Patcon said:

I believe Diseazd missed the "x'd" out last number of the vin. Yes I would expect they are both 73's

@Zup

Do you have the ability to make some pictures of that museum car of yours?

Yep, sure did Charles....add a digit and it’s a 73....get that Wayne?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My 12/70 240Z  number 16502 has the clutch pedal with the "L" offset bracket on it also.  The pedal could have been swapped at some point by someone, although the pedals all line up as they should. I never had any problems with it other the the pivot that the pedal hangs from was severely worn.