Jump to content

mastershake1998

s30 NOS quarter panels

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Woof!! That needs work. I would do it for #59 but still!

The HLS30-00059 identity 'lives on' in - in a shameful example of identity swapping - in the UK as a zombie, in a post-'73 bodyshell:

1cJoUD.jpg
cM7w70.jpg
UTrrKv.jpg
bV8fUT.jpg
kYRVKX.jpg
cKrSTg.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

The HLS30-00059 identity 'lives on' in - in a shameful example of identity swapping - in the UK as a zombie, in a post-'73 bodyshell:

1cJoUD.jpg
cM7w70.jpg
UTrrKv.jpg
bV8fUT.jpg
kYRVKX.jpg
cKrSTg.jpg

 

 

 

 

That's too bad. Buyer beware...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 240dkw said:

Not sure about the first two photos, but the last one is part of the sale of HLS300059 back in 2007. I tried to buy just the NOS panels, but the seller would not split it up. Here is the car. 

hls3000059.JPG

Yes....That’s where I saw those panels. I tried to buy them too....seller wouldn’t split em up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

The HLS30-00059 identity 'lives on' in - in a shameful example of identity swapping - in the UK as a zombie, in a post-'73 bodyshell:

 

Shameful brits.... next they will be faking 432R's and pooping on your front step!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 240260280 said:

 

Shameful brits.... next they will be faking 432R's and pooping on your front step!

Owner is - apparently - a Canadian living/working here in the UK. The car was heading back in that direction last I heard...

"Faking 432R's" what, exactly...? If you know of any "fake" 432-Rs, I'm all ears.

And of course, you're the one doing the door-stepping and you're doing it on this thread too. I can explain it to you if you still don't get it.

Edited by HS30-H
added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before this thread gets nasty. The op posted photo's of a set of 280Z quarters. They are quarters for a 280Z or am I missing something. No recess or indentation for the 240Z bumpers.

The 240Z quarter recess around the bumpers could be transplanted to these. The section around the bumpers is generally less rust prone, I beleive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Before this thread gets nasty. The op posted photo's of a set of 280Z quarters. They are quarters for a 280Z or am I missing something. No recess or indentation for the 240Z bumpers.

The 240Z quarter recess around the bumpers could be transplanted to these. The section around the bumpers is generally less rust prone, I beleive.

No worries, just some friendly banter.

 

Good points. Yes the first photos are 280z. Rust is usually at the wheel well lip and  at the front-bottom of the quarter panel where water drains. 

The exhaust heats up the rear corner and keeps it dry.

image.png

 

 

 

I've seen a quite a few few dings on the corners that look like a tough spot to hammer back. My 72 had these beauty marks:

image.png

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 240260280 said:

I've seen a quite a few few dings on the corners that look like a tough spot to hammer back. My 72 had these beauty marks:

image.png

Not only is it a tough place to hammer back but the metal is incredibly thin at these corners because of the stamping process

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Patcon said:

Not only is it a tough place to hammer back but the metal is incredibly thin at these corners because of the stamping process

Use an easy beat to pull out the dings... it uses a tiny weld at the tip and then you use a slide hammer to pull it out. Useful for tricky areas like this with limited access.

RE: The original post, these are definitely aftermarket 1/4 panels. Not sure why someone would go to the effort of making the lower half only. Why not do the whole section?

I have a couple of NOS rear 1/4 panels, investigating scanning them and reproducing entire rear 1/4's. Seems a lot of S30Z's could be saved if we had those options. Shame about HLS30 00059.. I can promise HS30 00051 won't end up the same!

Z SHED 002.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Use an easy beat to pull out the dings... it uses a tiny weld at the tip and then you use a slide hammer to pull it out. Useful for tricky areas like this with limited access.

This sounds like the stud welder I use. I did exactly that but the corners are so thin that the stud welder burns holes in them and if you get a stud welded on, the corner tears out because the metal gets thicker further from the corner. It can be a challenging area to get right. The best tool would be to make some long thin dollies to use from inside the quarter panel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 1:37 AM, Patcon said:

This sounds like the stud welder I use. I did exactly that but the corners are so thin that the stud welder burns holes in them and if you get a stud welded on, the corner tears out because the metal gets thicker further from the corner. It can be a challenging area to get right. The best tool would be to make some long thin dollies to use from inside the quarter panel

Yes it's kind of like a stud welder, but I'd say far milder.

https://www.easybeat.com.au/easybeat-model-3000-car-truck-body-dent-pulling-ma

I haven't tried it on the rear 1/4 panels, perhaps they are very thin like you say due to the amount of stretch they would go through via the pressing process?

I did have issues using it on the rear hatch once, but that was because I had thinned the metal out a bit already (via angle grinder with flap disc) and we were using a body file to knock down high spots etc.. it did blow a tiny hole. That's when I stopped and decided a small amount of filler may be more appropriate. (gotta learn what not to do sometimes).

I agree long thin dollies and perhaps a "slapper" would be another option (if you are not working on the panel off the car).

Edited by Gav240z
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a fabulous tool, but not a casual purchase at US$1,500 (plus tax, duty and shipping).  Which to buy first:  plasma cutter?  oxy-acetylene kit?  floor lift? induction-heating fastener remover?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 10:27 AM, Patcon said:

Not only is it a tough place to hammer back but the metal is incredibly thin at these corners because of the stamping process

Some how I ended up with a set of the rear quarter ends that were cut off #777 I believe . The owner was selling all his extras and why someone would have cut off good corners I’ll never know, but I’ve kept them just because it would be hard to fix that area. Though my 3 Z’s are all good in that area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Some how I ended up with a set of the rear quarter ends that were cut off #777 I believe . The owner was selling all his extras and why someone would have cut off good corners I’ll never know, but I’ve kept them just because it would be hard to fix that area. Though my 3 Z’s are all good in that area

That's a shame.

You have to wonder how many sub 1500 cars got parted or scrapped, because "they were too far gone". Today's too far gone is very different than just a few years ago and the standard will continue down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

~ 35% of the 1969 Z's with dates stamps are known to exist today thanks to @Carl Beck!!!

Panda eats, shoots and leaves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.