IGNORED

All brains on deck - an unusual problem

Zed Head

4 hours ago, Zup said:

What he really needs is a competent mechanic, as he does not posses and has not learned  the skills himself!

I totally agree.  There's no shame in not knowing how to fix everything on the car you drive.  There are many older cars and trucks in Panama and someone is keeping them on the road.  Jalex should ask around (friends, relatives, coworkers) to find a mechanic who knows how to work on an older car with a carburetor.  Not sure if he ever tried to connect to a local car club, as suggested, for support.  The mechanics he has used most recently have not helped.

Dennis

I had deposits on my 77 EFI on plugs 3&4. It was due to cracks in head.

The exhaust ports on 3&4 are the only two adjacent exhaust ports and heat builds there.

Maybe exhaust valve lash is too tight on 3 & 4allowing reversion.

Here is 3&4 exhibiting darker colour on cracked head (EFI):

plugs2003.jpg

image.pngimage.png

Edited by 240260280

I'd be very skeptical of a plug read based ONLY on a short period of idle. The car is not driven at idle. 

Put in new plugs and GO DRIVE THE CAR aggressively for an hour, THEN read the plugs.

If nothing else you've had an hour of fun driving the car. 

Actually, his basic problem is an idling problem.  Lots of traffic, and sitting while idling causes the plugs to load up and the engine to run rough.  A good drive and quick engine cut might offer a clue, but the problem is the idling.  I know that my old engine would start to run rough at idle, I'd take it out in the country and give it an Italian tuneup and it would idle smoothly for a while.  Then load up again.  IT was fun for a while but got old eventually.  I put my spare engine in to fix it.

246's issue is similar.  Not clear how the cracks cause the fouling though.