IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

20210707_135939.jpg

It does my heart good to see your original " grapefruit" alternator.

My old eyes can't tell from the photo-----what color is the band around your alternator? Is it a deep burgandy-ish red?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Zup said:

It does my heart good to see your original " grapefruit" alternator.

My old eyes can't tell from the photo-----what color is the band around your alternator? Is it a deep burgandy-ish red?

It is kind of burgandy-ish. I've always called it reddish brown.

20210710_064932.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent! You've confirmed what I had hoped.

I recently had the "grapefruit" alternator for my 7/70 240z rebuilt by a fellow that restores roadsters. We sourced the diode packs and new bearings, etc.  and then we went back and forth about the color of the band. I had him do it in the "reddish brown" you describe.

7 minutes ago, Zup said:

Excellent! You've confirmed what I had hoped.

I recently had the "grapefruit" alternator for my 7/70 240z rebuilt by a fellow that restores roadsters. We sourced the diode packs and new bearings, etc.  and then we went back and forth about the color of the band. I had him do it in the "reddish brown" you describe.

Nice, good to hear. I plan to have mine rebuilt as well. Although it still works great and as far as I know it hasn't been worked on. Not bad service for 50 years. 

20 hours ago, Zup said:

Mine is RUSTY-brown, is that oké to? :Bazinga:   (Btw.. my alternator is now also 50 years old and only had a paintjob about 22 years ago..)

Hé Jim, why is it called a grapefruit-alternator?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This past Sunday I removed the front and rear suspension, officially my car is no longer a roller. All went without issue thanks to the detailed instructions in Wick Humbles book and the video posted by @240ZBUILTBYME on his build thread. 

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/64416-240zbuiltbyme-1971-240z-hs-001063-project-sheena/?do=findComment&comment=607208&_rid=7818

Also it has very useful to have lots of spare jack stands and a small extra floor jack.

20210719_045211.jpg

Here are a few pics of the setup and process for removing the front crossmember and suspension as a unit. The transmission adapter on my floor jack added extra stability in the absence of a helper.

20210718_130624.jpg

20210718_133334.jpg

20210718_135140.jpg

Rear setup and process,

20210718_144127.jpg

20210718_153117.jpg

20210718_154134.jpg

Resetting for the final drop without the transmission adapter,

20210718_155654.jpg

20210718_165032.jpg

Only a few more things to do, before it's off to my body guy's shop.

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

This past Sunday I removed the front and rear suspension, officially my car is no longer a roller. All went without issue thanks to the detailed instructions in Wick Humbles book and the video posted by @240ZBUILTBYME on his build thread

I’m glad it helped someone! Great job 👏🏽 I was much less careful with my assembly as everything is getting completely overhauled. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Continued with creating templates for the tar mat insulators. I have finished and uploaded templates for the rear deck area to our downloads in the cad files section,

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/file/142-1970-240z-floor-tar-mat-templates/

Here is a picture of testing the templates to confirm fit. All that is left to do is the transmission tunnel area, hopefully I will get that done soon, before the shell goes to the body shop.

20210729_103135.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to photo-document.  These pix will be a great reference for others.  They also give us interesting insights into the design and assembly strategies that Nissan was using fifty years ago when the Z was launched.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Namerow said:

Thanks for taking the time to photo-document.  These pix will be a great reference for others.  They also give us interesting insights into the design and assembly strategies that Nissan was using fifty years ago when the Z was launched.

Thanks, I also find it interesting to reflect on the design and assembly techniques that were used by Nissan, as the technicians assembling our cars would surely have been under pressure to get things done quickly. This one of the reasons I have been going slowly with the disassembly process. Taking the time to smell the roses, so to speak.