IGNORED

resurrecting a 1977 280Z

MM569457

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, siteunseen said:

I'm pretty sure you can short the two wires together and the gauge will go to FULL as a way to test the gauge it's self?

That is correct. The gauge should read F if the sender wires are shorted together.

Just make sure you're shorting the correct two wires together. Don't do something like accidently short your fuel pump wires together. Make sure you have the fuel gauge wires.   :excl:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Captain, I wasn't 100% on that.  Another thing I'm not sure about but it seems like I've read where someone replaced the O-ring on a '77 sending unit through the the inspection cover in the hatch?  Would/could the unit be replaced without dropping the tank?

Thanks and have a good Thanksgiving. I see where it's cold up there, more than usual.  

Cliff

I haven't personally confirmed, but my understanding was that the 77-78 sender unit could be removed through the access hole in the rear hatch. I don't know about other years, but I believe 77 on you don't have to drop the tank (or even drain it) to do that kind of work.

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Thanks and have a good Thanksgiving. I see where it's cold up there, more than usual.  

Thanks bud, and you too!! Yes, it got way colder way quicker than it's supposed to be here. In fact, we got a bunch of snow middle of last week, and it ended my Z driving season with very little warning. I thought I was going to get a couple more weeks, but they salted the roads. I guess there's still a possibility that if we get a couple non-freezing rainy days it could clean off the roads enough to at least take it out and get some gas so I can circulate some stabilizer.

As it sits now, it was a big surprise... Tank is pretty much empty and there's no stabilizer in it.

We were supposed to get just a dusting of snow followed by an inch of rain that would have washed away any salt they put down. But that's not what happened. Instead, we got four inches of snow and very little rain at the end of the storm. Roads are covered with salt and I got kinda stuck behind the eight ball.

So, was able to pull my sending unit out on my 77 from the rear hatch.  Before this discussion i thought they all we like this.   I bought a new o-ring and locking ring when I put in it back in.  I’ve read somewhere to be careful pulling off the wires from the unit as they can fracture at the connection easily.  I didnt have a problem.  I know they changed the deck lid configuration in the middle of 77.  I have the deck lid that curves upward towards the taillight versus the standard flat deck (wish I had the flat decking) .   

Edited by Av8ferg

12 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

So, was able to pull my sending unit out on my 77 from the rear hatch.  Before this discussion i thought they all we like this.   I bought a new o-ring and locking ring when I put in it back in.  I’ve read somewhere to be careful pulling off the wires from the unit as they can fracture at the connection easily.  I didnt have a problem.  I know they changed the deck lid configuration in the middle of 77.  I have the deck lid that curves upward towards the taillight versus the standard flat deck (wish I had the flat decking) .   

Did you take any pics of that?

• 5 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, Av8ferg said:

So, was able to pull my sending unit out on my 77 from the rear hatch.    I bought a new o-ring and locking ring when I put in it back in.

@Av8ferg, Where did you get the O-ring and lock ring for the fuel sender? I'd like to pull mine out and figure out why it's not accurate, but I would like have an O-ring and lock ring on hand before I take it apart. I'm assuming if I have new ones here, I'll be able to re-use the old ones.

• Haha 1