IGNORED

New 280z "Hawk" - wish me luck.

smackhq

You guys seem to be on a different page about why people take on car projects.  I can't imagine paying somebody to put together an engine management system.  What's that leave for me to do?  Why not just buy a FAST EFI self-tuning, throttle body based setup?  A manifold change, some money, a couple of wires and it's done. 

Or just buy a four-barrel manifold and an old Holley.  That's probably the very simplest way to get on the road.  One carb, very simple.

Again - a multitude of "what I would do" s.  Since I've sorted all of my car problems out, it's kind of boring.  I barely drive it any more.   I miss my problems...

15 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Again - a multitude of "what I would do" s.  Since I've sorted all of my car problems out, it's kind of boring.  I barely drive it any more.   I miss my problems... 

LOL I am sure he will still find enough problems in the immediate future!!! I just wouldn't want to chase my tail on ECU or harness problems. There will still be issues but more of the type we routinely discuss here. Not the kind that are rare and hard to find someone else experienced in.

I have so many problems day to day I can't imagine getting bored with out some. I am open for trying some of that boredom... B)

Wheee! defines one end of the spectrum - https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/50908-1976-280z-restoration-project/

Smackhq has a simulator.  So he'll get many of the bugs worked out from the beginning.  

I think that many options depend on what's nearby.   If he gets on CL and finds a four barrel carb setup, who knows.  Quick and easy, a drivable Z while he's messing with MS.

• Like 1

Wheee! defines one end of the spectrum - https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/50908-1976-280z-restoration-project/

Smackhq has a simulator.  So he'll get many of the bugs worked out from the beginning.  

I think that many options depend on what's nearby.   If he gets on CL and finds a four barrel carb setup, who knows.  Quick and easy, a drivable Z while he's messing with MS.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

You guys seem to be on a different page about why people take on car projects.  I can't imagine paying somebody to put together an engine management system.  What's that leave for me to do?  Why not just buy a FAST EFI self-tuning, throttle body based setup?  A manifold change, some money, a couple of wires and it's done. 

Or just buy a four-barrel manifold and an old Holley.  That's probably the very simplest way to get on the road.  One carb, very simple.

Not sure who ‘you guys ‘ are, but simplifying one BIG part of this project would go a long way to shortening the list ??. It would be a plug and play as most people picture it, but it would a perfect fit for someone who has an empty engine compartment when it comes to wiring . I spent a lot of time searching to wire just the power of the ecu and fuel pumps, etc.. so they worked together properly . This is all done for you and it mounts in the stock place. 

Yes it’s a shortcut , but this list is so long and the builder will still have to have the knowledge to pull it off

• Like 1

And also , a fast EFI would be 1500$ plus all the other stuff you mentioned. He might be able to have a harness made up with his ECU for less than 500$ and not swap out anything 

Just trying to define the do it / buy it line, that's all.  To each his own, just laying out a smorgasboard of options, without too much of what I would do myself.  Don't really know smackhq's situation or preferences.  He might like making wiring harnesses.  Apparently some people do.

Speaking from experience with Megasquirt, he could install it as easy as trying to get the stock induction/ emission/ EFI going- IF- he gets help from someone like Softopz to get him a head start . Yes , a factory FSM helps going back stock , but less components and newer technology offsets that. 

I think all these options/ opinions will help the OP make a better decision 

@smackhq Just got back from Pick-n-Pull, Portland south. 111th and SE Foster. They've got a 77 sitting there with the running gear intact. I noticed that it still had the AC compressor attached to the engine. Injection is gone as well as much of the interior. The valve cover was loose so I looked inside. Aside from a few spots of very light surface rust on the lobes it looks good. It has had regular oil changes judging from the total lack of sludge. Dash is gone so no estimate of the mileage. Harmonic balancer was gone or I would have tried to turn it over.

The hood is off, manifolds are off, everything is disconnected. The engine is just sitting there begging to be pulled. PnP engine price is $197.99 with a $29.99 core charge. Estimated time from Kent to Portland about three hours. Time to pull the engine and get it into a transporter, less than one hour, with my help, if desired.

Now the sad part of the story. The body has little rust. Battery area has a small spot of surface rust. Hatch latch panel is near pristine. Floors look good. Frame rails look good. Tire well looks good. Doglegs look good. A couple of bubbles in the door bottoms. It's really a shame. I have three Z bodies and this one is in better shape than any of mine.

I have an engine in my garage from a ZX that I was thinking of selling.  My current engine is very solid.  I also have a 78 280Z EFI harness that I used to run it, to make sure it was good before the one month warranty period ran out.  And some spare electronic distributors.

You know he's going to swap an LSX in there after he looks at all of the options though.

Mark, that yellow 280Z is still there....  @Mark Maras

• Like 1

I have an engine in my garage from a ZX that I was thinking of selling.  My current engine is very solid.  I also have a 78 280Z EFI harness that I used to run it, to make sure it was good before the one month warranty period ran out.  And some spare electronic distributors.

You know he's going to swap an LSX in there after he looks at all of the options though.

Mark, that yellow 280Z is still there....  @Mark Maras

Ha. Not a chance brother man!!

Happy 4th all!