IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

Don't gouge the bearing seat sides when you're driving the old races out.  It's easy to do (for me anyway.  Unless the PO did it.  Yeah, that's it...he did it ).  I got some small pieces of brass and aluminum rod to be sure.  There's a cut out in the seat to give access to the race.  Probably covered in grease so you won't see it.

14 hours ago, gotham22 said:

Site unseen do you have the link by any chance

Of course I do.  My  #1 mechanic with a camera. @240260280

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/frontwheelbearings/index.html

Rears here...

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/rearwheelbearings/index.html

Everything else...

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

Edited by siteunseen

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a similar situation, but not quite as bad.  That said, I have not found someone willing to do the work (Daytona Beach, FL).  That said, I kept looking for a car with no rust.  I was lucky and found one in Miami.  The rest of the car is not that great, but no rust was my only criteria.  Now I'll take all of the good stuff off of the rusty car and put it in the solid car. The pics below aren't as bad as yours, but still needs attention.

If there is anyone in Orlando/Daytona Beach area that can fix this please let me know. 

IMG_0301.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0298.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Steady progress is being made.  The grease popped the stuck caliper pistons nicely.  However, it then clogged up the inner passage ways.  After a lot of trial and error (air and various cleaners did nothing) I was able to put both pistons half way in and grip them so they wouldn't move then I used compressed air.  Few times like this and they finally unplugged.  Tested with carb cleaner multiple times and saw it come out the other side.  Looks like it is all good now. 

Next I disassembled the hubs and removed the bearings and races. Lastly shocks and struts have been replaced and I bought new ball joints.  Front suspension is getting close.  I was so proud of myself when I finished the first shock and strut and then I realized I put on the rear springs.  Posting the picture of what it should NOT look like.  

I know nothing here is too earth shattering but I can't believe I have gotten this far.  ''

IMG_1862.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

• Like 1