IGNORED

Restoration of "One-eighty-seven"

drpchuynh

Last Sunday we fired her up! Here's the link to the completed video. If you don't have time to watch the entire video, feel free to jump to minute 3:50.

I tried uploading the video here but I think it's too large of a file. I spliced and edited the video with descriptive captions to help my viewers, especially the novice DIY-ers like myself, navigate the thought process of a master mechanic as he systematically works through the process of getting an engine fired up and idled correctly. Most of you on here probably do this in your sleep, so you'll find the descriptions elementary.[emoji23]

Have a great Labor Day weekend and enjoy the video!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

On 7/29/2018 at 9:42 PM, motorman7 said:

Looks beautiful, very nice job!   Just a few quick comments.  My  early '70 did not come with decals on the air filter so I am thinking that you would not need those.  I am not sure when the decals started showing up, but I would guess yours did not come with those originally.  Also, the timing chain cover looks unique.  Mine has ridges in it.  Maybe the early ones were flat like in your picture.

Confirm.  Flat timing chain covers and no decals on the air filter.

• Like 1

Confirm.  Flat timing chain covers and no decals on the air filter.
Thank you for the confirmation. It's amazing the variations of a single piece over the run of a few years.

I'm glad your friend made it out. Earlier that day, my dad's squadron made many trips to airlift Americans and civilians to the airport. Not certain when he was airlifted, but he might have been one that my dad's squadron extracted.

Those last minute airlifts where dangerous. There were so much traffic in the air that you could have easily collided, shot down by enemy fixed wing planes, and friendly fire, as the US Navy had no way of knowing if you were friendly or foe. So what my dad ordered his squadron to do was ditch the machine guns to save weight, but more importantly, give the US Navy a clear message that you weren't hostile. That's why you see in the picture, the machine gun mount was still there but no machine gun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I rarely use the word "Hero" but your dad was clearly one. That was one of the best posts on this forum.  He will be in our prayers.
If for nothing else, or to no one else, he was definitely a hero to me. Thank you for the kind words.

• Like 1

Someone PM me asking if dprchuynh and drpchuynh are the same member.  Yes it is.  Since they did away with the app, I forgot my registration information. So I created another through Tapatalk just to update this thread. Needless to say, I am able to get back in.  All is well.

• Like 1

I just read your story to my wife. I'm 70 and she's 65, and we lived through that era and watched the war on TV.  My high school classmates (class of '69) went over, and some did not return. I'm glad your dad and your family made it out. He was clearly a remarkable and admirable gentleman. 

• Like 3

And as an American who risk his life to fight for my former country, my family and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts. It's a debt that we can never repay in full. All we can do to show our appreciation is to better ourselves as Americans by giving back and never forget the sacrifices that so many made in pursuit of our freedom. My respect to you and all those who wear the uniform. Thank you Mike for the kind words. Have a great Labor Day!

• Like 2