IGNORED

Where to go with this rusthole

Elliott000

Hey I'm not sure what this indentation is called on the car. Outside of frame rail above two bolt holes. What ties into it, i need to replace this one obviously. I cant really bend something up to match this but I can cut some 1/8" triangles and make the same shaped pocket. Is the recession a necessity or was it there to add strength. Can I make this area flat and get away with it or will that screw up parts fitment down the road. Thanks.... Joys of not having disassembled the car myself haha. Pockets at the bottom of pic in frame. Not the strut tower, that ill just cut out and form a peice in there 20180426_141644~2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Remake the pocket the way it is now. That is where the crossmember mounts. IE front suspension and motor mounts. It is two layers of material. The inside layer is probably gone too. The reinforcing plates are thicker material than the engine bay sides

Somebody else just made these recently

@wheee!

@grannyknot

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elliott000 said:

Hey I'm not sure what this indentation is called on the car. Outside of frame rail above two bolt holes. What ties into it, i need to replace this one obviously. I cant really bend something up to match this but I can cut some 1/8" triangles and make the same shaped pocket. Is the recession a necessity or was it there to add strength. Can I make this area flat and get away with it or will that screw up parts fitment down the road. Thanks.... Joys of not having disassembled the car myself haha. Pockets at the bottom of pic in frame. Not the strut tower, that ill just cut out and form a peice in there 20180426_141644~2.jpg

I took that pocket reinforcement a little farther with mine as I've always felt the front shock towers are a bit under supported.

DSCN0895.JPG

• Like 3

My inner rails are healthy but the outer are trash LOL. Custom job commin up... Im going to tackle the frame rails and strut tower first so I can basically consider the floor and its structure complete. Then these bad boys20180422_123811.jpg

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

Remake the pocket the way it is now. That is where the crossmember mounts. IE front suspension and motor mounts. It is two layers of material. The inside layer is probably gone too. The reinforcing plates are thicker material than the engine bay sides

Somebody else just made these recently

@wheee!

@grannyknot

Here's a few shots of my fabs

4.JPG

5.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

• Like 2

Just wanted to check the forum in a while, and the first topic that comes up is rust repair haha... datsun ROFL

Like JDM says I believe these are the fresh air channels ( you know that lever you pull inside to get cold air to your legs.. )

Pretty easy to see why they rust... ( air + moisture ).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I believe these are the fresh air channels ( you know that lever you pull inside to get cold air to your legs.. )

Some Z trivia for ya...  Depends on the year.

They changed how those vents worked on the later cars and they don't use that channel as an air duct anymore. 77 on, they pulled the fresh air from the cowl area instead of using those channels.

• Like 1

Well after plenty of research and such I've bought some steel. For the lower main frame rails in engine bay I've gone for 2.5 x 2.5 tube, ill notch a relief in the side and integrate the crossmember brace/bolt holes, got some flat stock to weld nuts on for the rest of the holes. Easier, stronger and cleaner i figure. Im gunna rebuild the rad support aswell with same material and dress up the upper part of it as necessary. For the part that ties into the floor behind the suspension mounts Il dress that up with sheet metal. And braces from 1.5 x 2.5 tube I already have. She should be stout and not too much heavier, ill be sure to set a benchmark to measure from on the body to locate all the mounting holes and to ensure everything is square and straight. One side at a time I figure